Need help picking colour - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2004, 04:50   #1 (permalink)
1972 XA GS Fairmont

Need help picking colour

Gday. Just recentally i stacked the XA faaarrkkkk. There is a fair bit of damage to the front drivers side guard, bumper and grille, but there may be a good thing thats comes out of all of this. The XA is a fully origanal car with just over one hundread thousand miles on the clock, it is a 250 six. I'm 99% sure i will be getting a new car to drive round in so this means the XA will become a project for me and my dad to work on. Im planing a 351 Cleveland, C4 auto and 9 inch diff. The XA is a GS and its current colour is copper bronze, the interier is brown vinyl. Because the interier is in such good condition i wood like to keep it standard (although white leather would be nice). I cant think of a colour to paint the XA that will match the brown vinyl interier. I was thinging wild violet with the bottoms done in silver fox like the GT's, or maby even just plain silver fox. I dont no. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks Chris
XA Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2004, 04:54   #2 (permalink)
ignorance is bliss

Re: Need help picking colour

Quite partial to copper bronze myself. Brown vinyl would go with a fair few colors. There is a darkish brown metallic with gold flecks in it that came out in the XC Gxl range that looked pretty good, if not theres always a second hand interior or seat covers
clevokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 05:06   #3 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

If it's an original GS, and you plan to restore it why not restore it to it's originalty,meaning original colour int,ext and all, worth more in the long run.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 05:13   #4 (permalink)
1972 XA GS Fairmont

It is an original 2 owner GS Fairmont. I dont really like copper bronze. Because it will be off the road i have the chance to spray it any colour i want. XDUB69 will be helping me rub it back no matter what he says hahahaha. What is the dark blue in the AU's called. Galaxy....I cant think of it.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:25   #5 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

The dark Blue in the AU's was Monsoon Blue, or do you mean the really nice Blue called Galaxy Blue, lol.
Laser a maser.
Old 05-11-2004, 00:21   #6 (permalink)
1972 XA GS Fairmont

How many litres of paint will i need to do the car in wild voilet?
Old 05-11-2004, 01:12   #7 (permalink)

how much you will need will vary depending on wether you buy chep paint or good paint like P.P.G because the cheap paint will take more coats to cover over primer but basically you will want at least four litres of unthinned color to do a complete car in and out and you will probably have some leftover in case you crash it. I hope this helps
tuffxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 04:58   #8 (permalink)

I resprayed my first XA fairmont in its original copper bronze. looked ok to start with, But eventually i got sick of the "why did you paint it that s### color?" questions. It comes down to personal choice - think long and hard before you commit. i wouldnt worry about keeping it original too much.

If you pick another color, I'd suggest an original xa color - green, purple, yellow all match brown interiors. make sure you rub it back properly and paint all the engine bay and door jambs - nothing lookss worse that a great paintjob with stone chips that show the original color.

Are you putting the rallye stripes back on? I have em on my GS and reckon they look great. Stripes came in black, silver or gold to match the body color. Wild Violet with Silver GS stripes would look great. matches white interior too if you decide to go further in the future..
73gscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 05:18   #9 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

If you are going to go away from the original colour, than Wild Violet is the next best colour.
Laser a maser.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:42   #10 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Why not Acid Rush with black trim?
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech