Need ideas here.....help!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2002, 15:20   #1 (permalink)
Wanting 5 Gears, Damnit!

Need ideas here.....help!!!

Ok, i have an EF2 fairmont WITH front Cornering lights!
Now ive been thinking about cold air induction.... how oculd i possibly do it!?!??!? i've read alot of threads but nothing seems to help me in my situation!!

Can it be done anyother way?!?!?!? (without making holes to the exterior i.e bonnet!!) Maybe there is a way to pass it to the front airdam?

Thnx
ChuBBz

Old 08-21-2002, 18:15   #2 (permalink)

Yeah, Ive been thinking the exact same thing !
I checked to see if I could run some ducting down through to the Middle Airdam bit, but found that the Aircon Condensor thingie is right in the way !

It makes it near damm impossible to do on EF Fairmonts, as firstly we need to get around the ABS module, then we have the cornering lamp issue.

Personally, I am thinking of just running the ducting straight down, and angling it forward a little, to try and get some Ram Air effect.

Apart from that though, I have been told that the Ducting Idea is a bit of a hit and miss, due to mainly the top of the Bumber being a High pressure point on the Falcons, (Meaning that most of the Air Pressure Build up is around the bottom of the Fairmont Grill.
I have also been told that the Snorkel cannot flow anywhere the amount of air that is being pressured into it, even at speeds as low as 60Km.

I was also told that the Ducting Idea would help the above out, but there would be very little Positive air pressure Below the Bumber, (Its OK if we mounted the ducting at the cornering lamps). Anyway, this guy told me that having both the Snorkel, and Ducting together at the same time, would cause turbulance at certain speeds, and would starve the airbox of air at these speeds.

So now I am totally and Uterly lost as to what I should try ?
Xyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 19:17   #3 (permalink)
400 kg ego

It's a bit of a long-shot, but how about trying to make that dummy grille functional?

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 19:34   #4 (permalink)

Thats actually a Dammm good idea Jack !

I was looking in to getting the Tickford Fairlane Grille, and cutting the metal behind it, so as it would flow a bit more air.

Its a pity that the existing Fairmont Grilles are molded from a single peice of plastic, mainly because there is not much you can do with them.

I have been told to go to a metal wholesaler, (Metal Mart or something like that), and try and get some Mesh grille or something, and fit it there.

Its definitely a good idea though !
Xyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 21:13   #5 (permalink)
Tickford EL XR6

Xyphoid,

it could starve the airbox of air with the ducting and the snorkel in place, but it might work if there is enough suction from the engine to stop reversion of the flow in th airbox. Do some in gear acceleration testing (eg 60-120 km/h) with a stopwatch to see if works or not. Any good gain should give about 0.5 seconds over this speed, which is much more than the error you are likely to get from not using the watch accurately.

I like sound of the grill idea though, just a matter of fitting a 3" pipe to the box.

JT
Tickford6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 21:21   #6 (permalink)
Tickford EL XR6

Actually, you guys should have a look at autospeed.com and search for an article called "siting cold air intakes". It goes through a few of the things you have mentioned here, in particular the presure regions and a really cheap way to test for high pressure regions.
Xyphoid, the highest pressure region is below the grill, but you still get a high presure region anywhere on the front of the car (lower off to the side). Rememebr, mass airflow = density x velocity x area. So increasing your throat area is the only way to increase the air going into the airbox.

PM me if you can't read the above article.

james
Tickford6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech