Need a little help as to what I should get... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2002, 04:56   #1 (permalink)

Read Need a little help as to what I should get...

G'Day

Well, I cannot stand it any longer - My Laser KA (yeah, the 1982 model..... stop laughing - It's my first car alright??) has a hole where a CD player should be, and I've decided I want to get a sound system for it.

Now, I'm only a High School student, so I don't want to spend $5000 on a sound system - I also don't want a system that will rip the roof off my car - but I am interested in a system where maybe I could have two decent speakers in the doors, and a subwoofer in the rear of the car...

However, I have a problem I am totally illiterate with Car Audio - I understand some of the concepts of "The Head Unit" and "Sub-Woofer" but f****ed if I know what 3-Way speakers are (are they 3 speakers in one unit maybe???) - anyway to the point, I was wondering if you guys can reccomend anything for me- something that won't be hell hard to install in an older car, and altho cheap (relax, I am aware you can't get a good system for peanuts) sounds good?

Something I am looking at, is getting two 50w speakers, a 200W amp, a 200w sub, and a head unit, run the two speakers off the head unit and the subwoofer straight off the amp with all 200w going thru the Woofer (that will work will it?) I'm not sure what brands I'll be getting yet - tho the amp is a $150.00 Blaupunkt 200W amp.... and the Head Unit is an Audio Pro-Logic (I think) I have no idea what speakers or woofer I'm getting yet....

Anyway, any help would be gr8 - thanx guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2002, 07:45   #2 (permalink)

Well if you are really on a budget, cant think of any better brand than jaycar for speakers, subs amp.

Make sure you get a deck with RCA output, preferably with sub out.

Just say

Deck $300.00
Front Splits $2-300.00
Amp Jaycar 2x150 $300.00
Jaycar Sub $200.00

Thats an alright system if you dont want to spend much.
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 15:43   #3 (permalink)
au2 forte

Re: Need a little help as to what I should get...

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Porky
...f****ed if I know what 3-Way speakers are (are they 3 speakers in one unit maybe???)
Spot on. Here's an example (click the pic for a close up): http://www.jlaudio.com/evolution/TR690TX.html

With the head unit, try and go for something with at least 2 sets of pre-outs, and consider what other features you will might need now and down the track.

With the amp (and it's just my opinion) I can suggest one thing to consider: Your head unit is going to give say ~15-20 rms to your fronts and the sub amp (using the jaycar 2x150 as an example) will give 450 rms to your sub. The power difference might be manageable somewhat if you get front speakers with high sensitivity and turn down the gains on the sub amp. However, I'd consider setting aside some money towards getting your front speakers amped (either now or in the future).

Just a couple of suggestions:
-Still get a 2x150 jaycar for the sub (which for the $$ is a good value amp) and then consider a second amp for the front stage (which you can add later).
-or Go for a 4 channel amp instead of the 2 chan. This way you can have your fronts amped off 2 channels and the sub can run off the other 2.

The best advice would be to join the forums on www.caraudioaustralia.com . In addition to getting some good advice for the system, you'll learn heaps about car audio in general.

The other thing is (especially) if you're on a budget, perhaps consider buying some things 2nd hand (the for sale section on the above site can be very good to get an idea of whats available).
au2_xpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 01:06   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys :smile:

Anyway, thanks for the help - however I've changed my mind and am now getting a Kenwood KDC-1020 Head Unit, and 4x 6" speakers to shove in the doors & parcel shelf - the subwoofer just takes up too much damn room in my car!!

BUt thanx for the help anyway
Old 10-28-2002, 06:54   #5 (permalink)

if you want bass without subwoofers, the best thing you can do it wire up a set of 7x10s.
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech