Need more "GRUNT" in my EA - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2002, 21:05   #1 (permalink)
Bozza

Need more "GRUNT" in my EA

Hey fellas,

Does anyone know what I should do to get some more power out of my EA Falcon? It's pretty much all standard, except for a 2.5" sports exhaust.

I'm just thinkin' of spending a little bit of cash ($350 max) to give it some kind of "power boost".

Any suggestions?

PS> The exhaust is a one-muffler system, but for some reason, it's not making much of a "grumble" (noise). I'd like it to make a bit more noise (hehe) - any ideas?

Cheers,

BOZZA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2002, 21:08   #2 (permalink)
Arv

look at these options

1. cat back (assuming that you don;t already have this

2. extractors

3. air filter

good luck
Old 01-27-2002, 21:20   #3 (permalink)
Bozza

Re: look at these options

What would you pay for that stuff? I heard extractors are expensive...

What's the "cat back" - sorry, new at this stuff!

Also, how much would all that cost to get it fitted too? (no fantastic mechanical skills either!)

BOZZA
Old 01-28-2002, 21:37   #4 (permalink)
CXTdreamer

Re: look at these options

You just have to remember to have the cat installed a fair distance from the dog box... otherwise there will be trouble...
Old 01-29-2002, 12:17   #5 (permalink)
MadMax351

EA performance boost

if you want satisfaction with your "performance boost" you'll need to be spending bigger bucks than $350....maybe if u had an XB Falcon mate you could beef it up easily for that much...or a 120y you could do even more........

1) Supercharge it it'll shoot straight up from 120kw or whatever the EA 6 is rated at to at least 160kw cost is around $500-1000 depending on what u get

2) Turbocharge it same effect roughly same costs...

3) Put a bigger camshaft in it thats about $200 but they'll have to pull apart the engine anyways and that'll cost $500 alone...

4) Change the size of the pistons (see item #3)

5) Buy an EB V8

6) In a nutshell for $350, that wont even get u the full exhaust system......e.g extractors, cat, pipes....EA exhaust headers are about $400 for decent ones

7) Sorry if this doesn't help ya bozza...
Old 01-30-2002, 09:35   #6 (permalink)
Techno Boy

performance mods

where can i get supercharger or turbo for 500-1000?? hehe
i worked it out and to arrange and do a lot of the work myself it would cost atleast 2500-3000 to do a turbo. thats without a full ECU aswell.

for the EA, extractors might be the go. not sure how much power gain though, would be worth asking someone who has already performed this mod.
id imagine 5kw or so would not be unrealistic. so you would feel a bit more pull.
as for the rest of the exhuast.
the catalitic converter on cars is mounted around the middle of the car.
the exhuast goes like this from the engine: extractors, downpipe, piping, flexpipe(most of the time), more piping, cat, more piping, bended piping, 1 or 2 resonators in there somewhere, and finally the muffler and tip.
if you got a "sports exhaust" hopefully they gave you a cat back if not just a muffler. if its not loud enouph get them to take out the resonator which makes it quieter.

otherwise save the 350 and spend about 100 and get a full cold air induction/air filter kit which should give a few kw's and sound louder/better too.
Old 02-01-2002, 12:45   #7 (permalink)
MadMax351

Ooops

I was thinking of putting a turbo on the older pre 80's cars lol..... of course an EA would be at least $2000 but i dunno you never know......check the papers
Old 02-02-2002, 10:10   #8 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Re: flex

Techno, thanks for clearning up that exhaust thing.

The 'flex pipe' you mentioned finally explains a question that has been burning in my mind for years - what is meant by "Flexhaust exhaust coupling" in the original KB brochure. That means most cars technically have a flexhaust.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 01:04   #9 (permalink)
Martin

Most FWD cars have that flex pipe, never seen a RWD car with one though ...
Old 02-04-2002, 09:34   #10 (permalink)
Techno Boy

Flex me

i think it basically means the exhaust is not solid and when hitting a bump it can move a little so it wouldn't snap in half or anything.
upmarket features for the KB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech