need some info - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2004, 08:48   #1 (permalink)
get my p's on the 17th :)

need some info

i am new to ford forums and have became a member for eafalcons.com have just bought an 1988 EA fairmont ghia is it true that they came out with LSD's and also is a pod air filter or a standard one but with a k & n air filter in it which one is better??????????
ChAmP-EAgHiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2004, 16:57   #2 (permalink)
well hung

Re: need some info

Hey mate welcome.

Ea fairmont ghias came standard with LSD, although check the diff tag to make sure. For your second one, a pod filter will perform better than the standard panel filter.

Cheers.
theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 17:37   #3 (permalink)

thanx for that and how do you find out the ratio of the diffs

:CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR A SET OF TURBO BLADES
PM ME IF U KNOW OF ANY

MODS COMING:,Full Respray & Colour Coding(Being done as we speak) and thats it saving for new car EB XR6
Old 05-19-2004, 17:40   #4 (permalink)
well hung

Check the diff tag, which is located on the diff.
Just jack her up and have a look.
theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 18:00   #5 (permalink)

i will thanx again

PM ME IF U KNOW OF ANY

MODS COMING:,Full Respray & Colour Coding(Being done as we speak) and thats it saving for new car EB XR6
Old 05-19-2004, 19:04   #6 (permalink)
Wannabe mechanic :)

The pod-filter vs. panel filter is pretty subjective, actually.. theres no yes/no answer really..

A pod filter should have the highest airflow rates of any type of filter, while a K&N or similar panel filter will still flow better than a standard paper filter.

I think in any given occasion, a pod filter will offer the best engine response, but possibly not the most power possible. The reason for this is that the pod-filter is just lying in the engine bay which gets REALLY hot (over 100 degrees ambient even on a cool day, in some parts of the engine bay). Hot air is less dense than cold air, hence you will have less air in the cylinders for each combustion (and therefore less fuel, and a less powerful combustion. Also, it may be less fuel efficient).

In short, to get the best of both worlds, enclose the pod-filter in either an old airbox or a custom enclosure, and create a scoop of some kind to suck in cold air from outside the bonnet. A few people have had some pretty inovative ideas on how to do this, but the easiest is to just stick the pod in the original airbox, keep it sealed and use the original scoop (which feeds from just over the radiator at the front of the car)..

I could rant more about how the standard paper filter should theoretically supply a standard or mildy worked engine with enough oxygen right up to redline, and how a K&N panel definitely should, but not for now
Old 05-19-2004, 19:50   #7 (permalink)

Smile Re: need some info

thanx mate thats exactly what my old boy said the pod filter would get f******* hot in there. Will try to put it in box. Thanx again

PM ME IF U KNOW OF ANY

Old 05-19-2004, 19:52   #8 (permalink)

also i have LSD on my EA but on the tag it does say the ratio is there any way to find that out

PM ME IF U KNOW OF ANY

Old 05-20-2004, 09:28   #9 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

There will be two tags on the LSD, a big-arse one that says LSD, and a smaller one that gives all the info on the diff. It'll likely be caked in shit and will need scraping clean first

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech