The never ending story - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2002, 22:38   #1 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

The never ending story

OK, just finished the job of replacing front shockers, and putting in Superpro Bushes on the sway bar, and noticed the Front brake pads are looking a little thin. What pads are most people with XR's running, was thinking of either the EBC Green pads, or Bendix Ultimates. Rotors look OK, and I noticed bendix don't recommend maching unless severe scoring is present.
Matt
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2002, 23:52   #2 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

I currently have the bendix ultimates. They are ok.. but not great!

I am gonna try the green stuff pads when I do ther brakes next time! Heard a lot of good things about them.
Old 02-02-2002, 23:54   #3 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

For good pads it seems the Bendix ultimates and Performax are the go. I've personally onyl used two type of pads so far, Motor Craft ones and the Bendix Standard. I foudn the bendix standard pretty good, and they don't dust as much.

About machining discs, i found that machining after each pad change is the go, brakes bite heaps better and theres no noise basically like a new car. So even though it might eat away the rotors abit after machining but it ensures the pads bed in properly.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 00:06   #4 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

Quote:
Originally posted by EF_Falcon_GuY
For good pads it seems the Bendix ultimates and Performax are the go. I've personally onyl used two type of pads so far, Motor Craft ones and the Bendix Standard. I foudn the bendix standard pretty good, and they don't dust as much.

About machining discs, i found that machining after each pad change is the go, brakes bite heaps better and theres no noise basically like a new car. So even though it might eat away the rotors abit after machining but it ensures the pads bed in properly.
SPECIAL NOTE FOR DB1108 PERFORMAX FOR
FORD FALCON/FAIRMONT/XR6/XR8/FAIRLANE VEHICLES
The braking system of these Ford vehicles is generally designed for high friction compounds (such as Bendix Ultimate) as Original Equipment (OE). Bendix Performax is a long life, low dust, low rotor wear friction compound with a medium friction level, which may produce a harder pedal feel than the OE pads. Bendix Performax may also take up to 3-5 days of driving (based on 20 stops per day) to be bedded in properly for these vehicles, particularly with rotors that have been machined.

Installers should communicate to the drivers of these vehicles to "go easy on the brakes" for the first few days after fitment until new brakes bed in.

RECPMMENDED PROCEDURE FOR DISC MACHINING, PREPARATION AND CLEANING
Bendix recommends that discs should be machined only if discs have Disc Thickness Variation (DTV), exhibit heat checking, are warped or have severe scoring.

When machining rotors Bendix recommends the following procedure:
Machine disc using slowest feed rate. Do not take heavy cuts. The final cut should be minimal depth to minimise grooving on the surface.

After machining, clean disc with 240 grit emery on both surfaces (do this while disc is spinning on the lathe) to obtain a smooth non-directional surface finish.

Finally clean the disc surfaces off with a solvent such as acetone or MEK. Do not use an oil based solvent.

Cleaning

> Disc machining may leave a fine film of graphite on the
disc surface. When picked up by the brake pads,
graphite has lubricating affect and braking may
be effected. Always clean down the disc surfaces
using a non oil based solvent after machining. Never
use petrol as it contains waxes which can remain on
the disc surfaces after the solvents evaporate. The
waxes act as a lubricant, reducing braking efficiency.

> After fitting brake pads,once again wipe down the disc.
Only use a clean rag and a non oil based solvent.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Technical Advice Line: 1800 819 666 (8am -5pm Mon to Fri)

This is the stuff I found on the Bendix site. Interesting point of view
Old 02-03-2002, 22:03   #5 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

Just get hold of some Bendix Ulitmates, will fit tonight when I get home, apparently EBC don't make a pad to suit a XG, as they didn't realise that the XF style pad was used up until the XH (not including), they just saw the XF ran out at 88 and didn't bother. D'OH, their greenstuff pads looked like the way to go.
Old 02-04-2002, 03:05   #6 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

I can vouch for Green Stuff pads having terrific feel, and stopping power at least equal to Ultimates (as I said though, the Greens "feel" much better!) - BUT, as I think a few people have commented before the Green Stuff pads do make a surprising amount of dust and I didn't find them to be particularly kind on the discs even tho the blurb says low wear.
EDFUTURA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech