New AUII XR8 engine noise??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2002, 19:42   #1 (permalink)
Australian Member

New AUII XR8 engine noise???

I am thinking about buying a new AUII XR8 that a local dealer still has sitting around. The price seems good at $38888 + ORC (~$42000) but when I took it for a test drive the engine sounded like it was pinging a bit under heavy load.

Anyone know what this could be as the car only has 50kms on it???? I read somewhere that some new windsors have had problems with piston slap and it really didn't sound like noisy lifters. Also, I know they are meant to take premium unleaded so I am assuming it isn't the motor pinging because the first fill of fuel is normal ULP.
XC_GS_351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2002, 20:45   #2 (permalink)
Ford Member

its proberly got the wrong fuel in it the stupid sales people have no idea it needs to have premuim unleaded in it
Old 03-29-2002, 20:55   #3 (permalink)
Cheerful Idiot

Hmmm... only noise ours makes is

RUMBLE

and above 3000

HOWL

and above 5000 it has this lovely noise... can't really describe it.

BTW, is that a 200 or a 220 that you drove?
Ford Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 20:57   #4 (permalink)
Cheerful Idiot

DOH!!!

It did say new and 50ks...

Must read harder...
Ford Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 22:29   #5 (permalink)
Australian Member

It is a 220 (08/01 build) with about half a tank of petrol which has to be the initial fill from the factory (which you think would be PULP). Although I guess if it has been sitting around for 6 months it is probably stale.

At idle there was no noise at all, only under load which is why I think it was pinging. Never heard what piston slap sounds like or when it happens (idle/load??) so I can't be sure. Guess whatever it is would be fixed under warranty but would prefer not to have the headache.
Old 03-29-2002, 22:46   #6 (permalink)

Fuel goes 'off' after a month, so it would be well and truely stale after 6 months!
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 08:24   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by XC_GS_351
It is a 220 (08/01 build) with about half a tank of petrol which has to be the initial fill from the factory (which you think would be PULP). Although I guess if it has been sitting around for 6 months it is probably stale.

At idle there was no noise at all, only under load which is why I think it was pinging. Never heard what piston slap sounds like or when it happens (idle/load??) so I can't be sure. Guess whatever it is would be fixed under warranty but would prefer not to have the headache.
what does pinging sound like?

thanks
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 16:19   #8 (permalink)
Australian Member

It sounds like a metallic rattle coming from the engine and it won't rev cleanly (you feel a real hesitation to accelerate).
Old 03-30-2002, 16:52   #9 (permalink)
cazzi_miei

roll

hello hello there...

been driving my AU II xr8 ute since just before xmas.. well and truly run in with around 11.000 kms on the clock... i find that it pings on occassions as well...

it does it everytime without fail when im in first gear.. gradually accelerate to around 3,000... back off a touch... and then hit it again...
its defenatly the worst noise/feeling.. and yes.. makes u very hesitant of doing it again...

my previous ute.. a XH II six banger used to ping with bad fuel.. after a few mods that were performed that is... :p

so far apart from that (touch wood) the only other thing on the AU II thats played up is the driver side power window.. the ba_stard got stuck all the way down... thanx to some grub screw rattling loose... the service dude said.. "it should be allrite now..."

SHOULD BE?? should be you reckon? Fac mate... maybe FORD should discover the wonders of LOCTITE... and maybe i shouldnt complain... was lucky it happened on my way home from work...

happy easter everyone... im off to eat some good wog tucker...

REAL WOGS DRIVE UTES TOO.... :p :p :p :p
Old 03-31-2002, 07:25   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by XC_GS_351

The fuel had to be put in by the dealer because all Falcons get about 5 litres of fuel at the factory. That is basically enough to get them out of the factory, onto the transport and then off at the dealers.
batbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech