New Ignition, leads & Plugs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2002, 13:41   #1 (permalink)
Senior Events Moderator

Question New Ignition, leads & Plugs

Ive been seeing posts with people running new ignitions, 11mm leads better plugs ect. Whats the go with all this equipment. What does all this stuff do and what sort of cost am i looking at.

Whats the size of standard leads?

Im just interested and would like to know.

Does all this stuff really help?

Thanks Steve
AU1SIXA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2002, 15:47   #2 (permalink)
known as tibbo

i'm no expert but basically its this simple

the better the ignition ,,, the more spark u get ,,,, the more spark have the more fuel u burn ...the more fuel u burn the better it combusts....better combustion the better she goes

tell me if i'm wrong

i'll b interested in reading replies
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 16:47   #3 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

11mm sounds like overkill. A good set of 8 or 8.8mm leads should do fine in a road car. You're after a consistant spark, and stock leads tend to lose the ability to provide that over time. Same with park plugs, a good set of plugs for an XR6 are fine. Going with huge, expensive leads and expensive plugs is only going to burn extra money, not extra fuel.

You won't get any horsepower increase, but you may be able to help minimise horsepower loss over time.
Old 03-13-2002, 18:10   #4 (permalink)

I have heard lot of ppl have had problems with the ignition, in regards to the EF. Myself included.

Apart from a dealer fitting the wrong plugs, I have changed these plugs to both NGK R (EF XR6 spec), and Spitfire plugs (EF-XR6 spec) !
I noticed absolutely NO DIFFERENCE between the 2, and considering that the splitfires cost me $14.00 each, and the NGK cost roughly $3.50 each, I will be continuing to buy the NGK R for now on.

I also fitted Magnacore 8mm leads, when the car was stuttering above 50Km, when it was floored. (the car wasn't pinging, the fuel just wasnt getting burnt).
I had original leads, and the wrong plugs at the time, and simply replacing the leads with the magnacores fixed this problem up immediately. (It was only when I was changing the leads, that I checked the plugs, and realised that they were incorrect, hence the purchase of the Splitfires.)

Mmmmmm. guess this story doesnt have a moral, or anything, just my experience with leads and plugs !
Cheers
Matt
Xyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 18:30   #5 (permalink)

I picked up some top gun 10mm leads from the Summernats for a discounted price on the last day, I wanted 8.8, but they had run out...I thought the 10mm were overkill at first, so I rang teh guys at teh head office, they advised me that their 10mm racing leads were infact similar internally, but with more sheilding to prevent "crossfiring" and loss of efficiency..

they look nice and meaty installed!..at the same time I replaced my standard ngk plugs with teh xr6 spec plugs (slightly longer reach, and run hotter).
I did notice a little improvement over the original gear...but this is probably just restoring the strength of the spark to as new, or slightly better
Full Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech