new leads - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2002, 04:00   #1 (permalink)

Question new leads

hello to all,I am curious about adding some new leads to my EF wagon I have been thinking about the ##$#%ing coil pack and the high voltages it has to generate for decent spark.as
i understand it the factory leads are 10-30 kohms resistive which I have confirmed by measuring..I have read that so called performance leads can be of much lower resistance say for example 1-5 kohms but still with adequate shielding to prevent sensor errors etc.would this then mean the ignition coil pack would not have to work so hard??In turn meaning that the expensive little bugger could then last alot longer ??I have just changed mine and at $185 and a couple of very fiddly hours under/over the car and a very worn out arm I am anxious to make it last as long as possible!!
any feedback greatly appreciated maddymoo1
maddymoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2002, 14:44   #2 (permalink)

That is an interesting question.

I'm no auto electrician so I don't really know, but as it is electrical force and not mechanical force, it should not make much difference. Best thing is to ensure you use a bit of dielectric grease on the boots, keep the current going where it is supposed to and keep electrical resistance to the minimum.

Quote:
In general, when the applied voltage is held constant, the current in a direct-current (DC) electrical circuit is inversely proportional to the resistance. If the resistance is doubled, the current is cut in half; if the resistance is halved, the current is doubled.
So it looks like the lower the resistance, the more bang for the buck!

Cheers
Old 10-14-2002, 00:47   #3 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

Becarefull with dielectric grease, at work it actually made the leads start to track and cause missfiring. We don't use it anymore and we no longer get this problem as often.

In my opinion and from experience you wont get much gain out of so called "high performance" high tension leads. Only get them if you actually need to replace your leads, otherwise it is a waste of money and time really.
Stock as a Rock for the moment

TQE's
XplodEd EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 12:24   #4 (permalink)

That is interesting about the dielectric grease, as it is touted as a cure for spark plug tracking. Although I would still use it on connectors to prevent corrosion.

Ed, what was the brand name of that grease?

Thanks,
Old 10-16-2002, 03:21   #5 (permalink)

Ed its not so much increased performance I'm trying to gain ,I'm thinking more along the lines that if the coil pack doesn't have to generate as high a voltage ,due to decreased lead resistance ,then the coil pack itself will not have to work as hard(since it willgenerate whatever voltage necesary to jump the spark gap) and therefore I think should last a lot longer...maybe 10 years instead of 5 or so..any further thoughts anyone??
thanks maddymoo1
Old 10-16-2002, 18:04   #6 (permalink)
kool kiwi bloke

im a sparky hah!. Seriously guys, those coils poke out about 25 000 v. At that voltage it dosent really care about resistance. I believe resitive leads were introduced to reduce radio interference probs as were in line supressors and plug caps which were used on plain copper leads. The lower resistance leads will allow a little bit more current to flow hence a slightly hotter spark. The coil will allways generate the same voltage. As for the grease, it only insulates while it is clean and new. any crap in it turns it into a conductor. Use a little on the contacts to prevent corrosion and put the boots on dry. Vaseline will do the same job. Too much and it lubricates the boots and they creep off.

If it aint broke then dont fffffffix it!
My advice may not be worth much, but at least it's free!
shrekky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 21:38   #7 (permalink)

shrekky, thanks for the info.
Old 10-16-2002, 22:56   #8 (permalink)

Just a quick one on Leads and Resistance.
Does anyone know what the Safest Lowest Resistance leads you can use with the EF coil pack.

The Reason that I am asking is that with some motorbikes, you can run Solid Copper Leads, but the Boots must have a certain Resistance. (I.E. 5Kohm).
If the resistance is lower, then the Leads will pull more current, and the Transistor on the Ingition Module tends to blow ?
(On my gixxer, I cant go below 5Kohm Boots, unless I fit an aftermarket Igntion Module, complete with new coils).

Cheers
Matti
Xyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 03:12   #9 (permalink)
kool kiwi bloke

an interesting point about higher current flow. less resistance does equal higher current flow. Motor bikes use cdi, capacitor discharge ignition which dosent need any external power to operate it ie no battery on the bike. Car stuff is different. The way the spark is generated is that a current is fed thru the low voltage side of the coil and then it is suddenly interrupted ie points opening in the old system. As the current stops there is a rapid collapse of the internal magnetic feild in the iron part of the coil. This in turn induces a current in the secondary or high voltage side of the coil- your spark. At this point I dont think the ignition module really cares what happens on the high voltage side. One point though, dont ever crank the engine over with any leads off or pull them off while running. Short them out if you have to. If the spark has no where to go then it can affect the low voltage side of things ie arcing to where it shouldnt go. Most systems will cope but why risk it? I know its a long blurb but hope it might put some light on the subject.
shrekky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 03:36   #10 (permalink)

thanks shrekky ,that makes sense..secondary voltage is fixed so if resistance drops current rises ..if the spark is hotter does this mean you need a different plug to suit the higher current leads..does this also mean that my EF falcon ignition module may degrade sooner due to higher than factory designed current draw with so called performance leads installed??If so the performance leads are not for me!! I just want the bugger to run smoothly for a long time!!
maddymoo1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech