New Sound System - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2003, 20:11   #1 (permalink)

confused New Sound System

Ok, ive decided that im going to spend about $500 on a half decent sound system. Now at the moment, ive got 4's in the front, and 6's in the back, and an OK tape player. Now I want to upgrade everything. I was thinking of going an amp and 10' sub, but not too sure. Im definately going to get a new head unit, and new 4's for the front. I was also thinking that I woud get 7*10's for the back parcel shelf. Is this a fair idea?
Any idea of price and good brands?
All input would be appreciated.
Pete84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2003, 20:18   #2 (permalink)
'95 EF GLi

what sort of car?
BlueAvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 20:29   #3 (permalink)
Lord of the RC

I installed a Blaupunkt 4x45w single cd deck, apline 6's 120w front and rear... for $465... was very happy... try jaycar they have some really good speakers especailly the subs and 4's for good prices

Cheers
O.F.R #6 : PM Me
Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Member #4 of the MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
fordel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 21:05   #4 (permalink)

Its an XF Falcon
Old 04-23-2003, 21:13   #5 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

I think JB are selling full system for around 500 now arent they. Including deck and 4 speakers might be worth checking it out.

Also if you are thinking about upgrading further in the long run, more subs and multiple amps it will be worthwhile spending the extra cash on a good deck with 2 sets of preouts and sub outs.

Dan
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 21:19   #6 (permalink)
'95 EF GLi

Jaycar gear is all good stuff!

when you buy a head unit check out jb first, and remember they will always bargain. i got my head unit for $430, and the marked price was $569 (aparrently marked down)

the unit i got was a Pioneer DEH-P5550MP which plays mp3s as well, which makes a stacker useless...

With speakers, if you are going to get a sub its not worth doing anything extra special for your shelf or fronts. 6" rounds (good ones) will do the job with a sub to back them up.

pioneer decks are good, check here for all of them. the mp3 option is totally worth it.
Old 04-23-2003, 22:57   #7 (permalink)

Say if I didnt end up getting a sub, how much bass would 7*10's give me? And could they be mounted in the existing holes in the parcel shelf?

Also, how hard is it to install an amp and sub by yourself?
Old 04-24-2003, 00:32   #8 (permalink)
'95 EF GLi

i dont know about 7x10s but 6x9s are ok, you would probably have to do something to the shelf to get them in, unless you just mount them underneath like i did.

does the XF have a sub hole in the back shelf (if you don't know, just jump in your boot and have a look up at the back shelf)?
if it does then its easy to put in the sub, the amp is just a matter of running a power cable (fused) from the car battery to the boot and a pair of RCA cables from the head unit to the boot, oh and mounting the amp. not sure what a XF boot looks like, but there is problaby somewhere you can mount it without too much hastle.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:02   #9 (permalink)
Damien28

i wouldnt bother going the 7'10s id just go the 6'9s they pump quite good, two of my mates have Kenwood 6'9s and they go damn good almost sounds like they got subs the bass them babys put out, and they hardly distort either, until its blooody loud and your trying to pump hell bass to them aswell.

i wouldnt bother with new 4's for tha front, just a waste of money from my perspective, aslong as ya have a good deck and get a good set of 6'9s id recommend the Kenwood ones, especially the 300watters they go good, i rekon the system wouldnt be half bad.
Old 04-24-2003, 19:15   #10 (permalink)

So you would recomend leaving the 4's that ive got in there? Ok what if i got new 6's for the back, a new head unit, an amp and say 10' sub. How much would I be up for , if it was middle of the range stuff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech