NF Fairlane Subwoofer - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2002, 22:55   #1 (permalink)
Australian Member

NF Fairlane Subwoofer

I bought a NF Fairlane Ghia about 4 weeks ago. I was told that they came out with a 10" sub on the back parcel shelf. Far enough when I looked under the shelf there is a cutout for the sub but no sub. Does anyone know if the sub was standard. I want to put a 10" sub in the empty cutout is there an amp already there for the sub or wiring etc.
shorsfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2002, 04:43   #2 (permalink)

Yeah, the premium sound system came out with a paper cone 8inch sub, and four channel amp, along with 6 stack CD in the boot.
It also came with tweeters right up near the front windscreen, (In those 2 little venty type things near the pillars), and a Double DIN deck, complete with cassette and DSP.
Premium sound was an optional extra on Fairlanes, and standard on LTD and Fairmont Ghia.
So if you have premium sound fitted, then the little sub should stick out like dogs preverbials.
Also, the Amp is fitted in the boot, right hand side, near the brake lights, and is covered by the carpet stuff, and riveted on to the Body.

For a factory fitted audio system, these things were AWSOME !

Unfortunately, the hole cutout is for an 8 inch sub, and means some metal cutting to fit a bigger one :dead:
Xyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 06:37   #3 (permalink)
ST170ish

Quote:
Originally posted by Xyphoid

Unfortunately, the hole cutout is for an 8 inch sub, and means some metal cutting to fit a bigger one :dead:
Mmmmm a sevenish inch hole for the bass to go thru, just throw a sub box in the boot put a speaker grill over the hole!
Has the hole been cutout from factory?
It may be your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
ST170ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 15:59   #4 (permalink)

I think from memory, the hole was cut out already, and there is a nice 5mm lip, that runs around the bottom of the hole, so as to strengthen the metal.
You will probably notice that the parcel tray cardboard/wood/carpet has small perforations around the area, to allow sound to come out, so you can get away without using a grill over the hole. Just dont put anything heavy on the parcel tray !

I ended up cutting mine, and bracing it with some 18mm MDF wood, and fitting a 10" sub.

I took ages to cut and route the wood, so as it would fit around the middle seat belt, and so as the speakers sit flush, and I used a lot of bolts, and some carpet underlay, inbetween the metal and the wood, to try and keep metal vibration down to a minimum.
Also, the original carpet/wood/cardboard parcel try just fitted straight over the top, and looks stock standard.

Unfortunately, it still vibrates under very loud volumes.
Old 01-14-2002, 18:07   #5 (permalink)

I have a 10" sub (Pioneer) in my EB with no cutting neccesary.
I also have the original parcel shelf covering it, prefering to go the stealth look (don't want to attract thieves). It is a compromise as Xyphoid said it does tend to vibrate when cranked up, sound is muffled a bit too but thems the breaks.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 19:44   #6 (permalink)
Australian Member

re subwoofer

I have the premium sound system ( I think). Ive got the stacker, tweeters, two speakers in the front doors and two on the back parcel shelf. I dont know why the sub is not there. I was just wondering whether the amp would be there if the sub is not. And if the amp is not there whether the wiring to put an after market amp is there????
Old 01-14-2002, 20:20   #7 (permalink)

Location of Ford Amp on EF/EL

This is the location of the ford amp for the premium sound system.

Also, there were 3 types of Audio systems fitted at the factory.
Low Series, fitted to Gli and Futura
Mid Series, fitted to Fairmont, Fairlanes
and Premium, Fitted to Fairmont Ghia, Fairlane(Option) and LTD.

The Mid Series one could have an optional CD stacker, same one as the premium system.
Its easy to tell if you have the premium system fitted to an EF/EL, as the Deck is a double DIN, the others are single DIN.
As far as Im aware, the cabling for the CD stacker was fitted to all Mid series systems, so it was a matter of fitting the Stacker at a dealer.
With the High Series, the rear speakers are connected to the amp, but there are existing connectors there to connect the rear speakers to the Head unit. These though are not used by the head unit, but the wiring still exists.

Finally about the Ford amp.
It has 4 RCA Inputs, and 4 channels out. Each output is already bridged, (IE, you cannot bridge the outputs to get more output).
Only 3 outputs are used on the premium system. 2 for 6" speakers, and 1 for the Sub.
The amp is rated at 200Watts, (obviously not RMS), and is a class AB design. - I.E. sounds awful at low volumes with its inherent crossover distortion !!!!!

IMO, the Deck was by far and away, the best feature of the Premium sound system, the sub, and amp were more of a no-frills addition.
Old 01-14-2002, 20:59   #8 (permalink)
Australian Member

Re: Location of Ford Amp on EF/EL

Quote:
Originally posted by Xyphoid
This is the location of the ford amp for the premium sound system.

Also, there were 3 types of Audio systems fitted at the factory.
Low Series, fitted to Gli and Futura
Mid Series, fitted to Fairmont, Fairlanes
and Premium, Fitted to Fairmont Ghia, Fairlane(Option) and LTD.

The Mid Series one could have an optional CD stacker, same one as the premium system.
Its easy to tell if you have the premium system fitted to an EF/EL, as the Deck is a double DIN, the others are single DIN.
As far as Im aware, the cabling for the CD stacker was fitted to all Mid series systems, so it was a matter of fitting the Stacker at a dealer.
With the High Series, the rear speakers are connected to the amp, but there are existing connectors there to connect the rear speakers to the Head unit. These though are not used by the head unit, but the wiring still exists.

Finally about the Ford amp.
It has 4 RCA Inputs, and 4 channels out. Each output is already bridged, (IE, you cannot bridge the outputs to get more output).
Only 3 outputs are used on the premium system. 2 for 6" speakers, and 1 for the Sub.
The amp is rated at 200Watts, (obviously not RMS), and is a class AB design. - I.E. sounds awful at low volumes with its inherent crossover distortion !!!!!

IMO, the Deck was by far and away, the best feature of the Premium sound system, the sub, and amp were more of a no-frills addition.
Thanks for the info Xyphoid. I think ive got the premium system. what do you mean by double DIN and single DIN? I will check tonight to see whether the amp is there. If not I will connect my 400W amp Ive got. Im just wondering whether the wiring will be there if the amp is not. Does anyone have a wiring diagram??
Old 01-15-2002, 00:04   #9 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member

Thumbs up Premium

The factory sub that comes with the premium system rocks. Although, I pulled mine out and put in 2 12" Alpines. I fitted it into an EF EX6. Sounded very crisp. Excelent sound quality. use one of those 5 channel amps from Alpine. 40x4 and 70x1.
Stereo by ///Alpine
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 02:44   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I will check tonight to see whether the amp is there. If not I will connect my 400W amp Ive got. Im just wondering whether the wiring will be there if the amp is not. Does anyone have a wiring diagram??
I think that even if you do have the factory Amp, you would probably be better off fitting your 400Watter.
As I said the Factory Amp really isnt that good, compared to after market ones !!!!

I dont have my workshop manual with me this week, but I should be getting it back on Sunday, so when I get it, I will have a squizz at it, and give you the wiring diagram !!!!

As for double DIN, and single din, this just refers to the size of the Car Audio system. The new AU's, and VT's have double DIN, IE they take up 2 standard car stereo spaces.
Single DIN means that the stereo takes up only one.

Here is the shot of the Premium Sound System fitted to an EL Fairmont Ghia. - Hope this helps !!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech

Related Reading: NF Fairlane Subwoofer