no air filter? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2003, 02:56   #1 (permalink)

no air filter?

gday my friend has taken his air filter cover box off and taken out the air filter completly , he recons the performance and sound is incredible. It sounds pretty dodgy to me, what sort of power gains would he be getting? he recommends everyone to take off their air box cover and for extra performance tells them to take out the filter as well....
daza_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2003, 03:28   #2 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Re: no air filter?

Yeah brilliant, lets all suck every piece of crap through engine we possibly can, fastest way to kill your motor, DO NOT DO IT, filters are there for a reason, get a high flow air filter, but you have to have a filter.

Your friend is a tool (and i mean that in the nicest possible way)

Dellboy999

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 03:40   #3 (permalink)
rev

A much more sensible mod is to move the seat foward about 30 to 60 mm. If you have had the car for sometime you will notice a huge difference in throttle response and power. The longer you have had the seat set back, the greater the difference you will notice. As a bonus it helps braking perfomance too. Much better than an upgrade. Try it...works wonders. The only downside is having to adjust the fader on your stereo.

Cheers
Old 11-28-2003, 03:56   #4 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

Actually it's not so bad.....
I had a 351 Cleveland which I did over 100,000k's in, never used a filter. The engine was as in good condition as expected given how I used it.

On sealed roads, there is very little to worry about in regards to stuff entering the engine and actually causing damage.
You only really need to worry if you drive on dirt roads often, and even then it's only really bad if you are following someone.

Remember, the best flowing air filter, is no filter.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 04:07   #5 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Really Soxx, have you ever cleaned an airfilter, i wouldnt what comes out of them, through my motor thankyou very much.

Oh and for your info the EF air box on an EF with a filter flows just as much air, as without a filter, so I guess that makes you wrong.

Dellboy999

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 04:19   #6 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

Yes, really Dellboy......
I have seen hundreds of air filters with all sorts of crap, and I also know that most of this crap will not harm an engine over the period of time it accumulates.
Short of having a good sized rock or metal go through an engine, it will be just fine and dandy.
I've even seen small steel nuts go through an engine with no harm done. The odd bug or leaf here and there won't cause any harm at all.

As for the air box flowing as much air with or without the filter, all that means is the air box itself is the restriction in this case.
In any case, exactly how long will this filter still flow as it does when new?

My comments still stand, the best flowing air filter is no filter.

Basically all what is really needed on sealed roads is a piece of flyscreen.

Rick.

Last edited by Soxx; 11-28-2003 at 04:23.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 04:40   #7 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

Also, taking off the airbox cover most likely would mean less power due to cold air from outside not getting inside the engine, instead it will be sucking in hot air from the engine bay... definitely will lose performance.

When I had my EA for half a day I actually did this just to see what it was like, the sound of it was very nice but there was definitely a loss of power. I had no intention of keeping it this way, I just wanted to hear what it sounded like out of curiosity. Got a nicer sound with an exhaust and extractors anyhow
gmanEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 05:28   #8 (permalink)
Ride like the Wind

has he taken the exhaust off entirely too ?

Barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 05:34   #9 (permalink)

yes ive heard him speak of cutting off the back exaust to increasepower and give it a good sound.
daza_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 05:37   #10 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot_XR6
has he taken the exhaust off entirely too ?
Nope, what I meant is if you want a good want a better sound get a bigger exhaust...
gmanEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech