No Spark ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2004, 16:19   #1 (permalink)

No Spark ?

Yesterday morning my car wouldnt start. I did a check to see if there was any spark getting to the plugs but there was none. I checked the spark from the from the coil but wasnt any so i tried a different HT lead. There is power going to the coil but doesnt seem to be any spark coming out of the coil. I tried to different coils with know change. I cant think of anything else, its on a fuel injected Xflow.

Is there anything else i can try or is it time to go to the auto elec.

Cheers

Simon
tagsXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2004, 02:37   #2 (permalink)

Re: No Spark ?

measure the leads with a multimeter - should be approx 7k ohms per foot (this is going from memory!). If the lead is much greater than this chuck it. How did you check for spark at the coil?
XWish Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 06:00   #3 (permalink)
grippin'n'rippin

check the tfi module and the pip sensor on the dizzy. If they are not working, the coil won't spark.
sleepwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 06:09   #4 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Yep..Also the pins on the coil connector can slid back and not make contact on low tension wire..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 14:24   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWish Ute
measure the leads with a multimeter - should be approx 7k ohms per foot (this is going from memory!). If the lead is much greater than this chuck it. How did you check for spark at the coil?
I checked buy putting a spark plug on the end of the coil lead, run a ground lead to it and seeing if there was a spark while it was being turned over.

I havnt checked the tfi modual and that yet, but am pretty sure thats what it would be after having a read through my manual.

Would i it be easier to replace the whole dizzy with a working tfi etc or is it removable.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers

Simon
Old 02-19-2004, 15:56   #6 (permalink)
grippin'n'rippin

tfi modules are easy to replace. You need a timing gun though. Just undo the dizzy bolt, rotate dizzy anticlockwise a bit and you should have a clear access to two screws holding it on. Undo them, disconect the wiring plug, replace with the new module, set the timing, tighten the dizzy bolt and you're done. 15 min job when you get another module.
If it's the pip sensor, the dizzy will have to come out. A bit of a pain due to its positioning and almost no clearance between it and the manifold but you can remove it without taking any other parts of your engine. Just make sure that the first cylinder is on TDC (top dead centre) when you're taking it out.
You can pick up a second hand dizzy for about $60-90 at your wreckers. I think new ones are about $400 from repco, not sure so don't quote me on the price.
Old 02-19-2004, 15:58   #7 (permalink)
grippin'n'rippin

and reset the ECU once you're done. :o)
Old 02-19-2004, 18:45   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker
tfi modules are easy to replace. You need a timing gun though. Just undo the dizzy bolt, rotate dizzy anticlockwise a bit and you should have a clear access to two screws holding it on. Undo them, disconect the wiring plug, replace with the new module, set the timing, tighten the dizzy bolt and you're done. 15 min job when you get another module.
If it's the pip sensor, the dizzy will have to come out. A bit of a pain due to its positioning and almost no clearance between it and the manifold but you can remove it without taking any other parts of your engine. Just make sure that the first cylinder is on TDC (top dead centre) when you're taking it out.
You can pick up a second hand dizzy for about $60-90 at your wreckers. I think new ones are about $400 from repco, not sure so don't quote me on the price.
Thanks for that, your help is much appreciated. I am currently looking around for a new tfi modual and if i cant get one i am just going to replace the whole dizzy with another one from the wreckers here, who hopefully be droping it off this arvo.

Regards

Simon

Last edited by tagsXF; 02-19-2004 at 18:49.
Old 02-19-2004, 23:10   #9 (permalink)
grippin'n'rippin

try the wreckers. they should have some.
This page migt b of some intrest to you.
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/flats/3349/test.htm

Let us know what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech