Ford Forums banner

No-start condition 85 Tempo

904 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Palmer29 
#1 ·
OK, this is probably compression, but assuming it isn't:

I removed the head on my 85 Tempo due to poor running (no-fire on #3). It is a 2.3 liter HSC CFI. On inspection, I found that the gasket on the intake manifold had been allowing coolant vapor into the #3 intake. Valve inspection revealed some wear and some deposits, with moderate pitting on all 4 exhaust valves.

I cleaned the valves and valve seats, and ground them just a bit. There were no signs of valve stem scoring or bending, or excessive wear (minute wobble when trying to wiggle them, but nothing major). By the way, this is a cast-iron head that showed no other signs of wear although I never had it magna-fluxed. After replacing the head and properly torquing all the head bolts, I find that the engine is now a no-start. I replaced the plug wires and the ignition coil, and am positive that the engine is receiving both good spark and fuel. One thing ( I don't think this caused a problem, but hey I could be wrong!) -- after torquing down the head, but before I replaced the rocker arm assemblies, I briefly checked the starter by turning the engine over 5 or 6 revs. I don't believe this caused any problem with engine rotation as the cam, lifters, etc are all in the block on this model. But as I said, I could be wrong.

I'm trying to save myself the cost of buying a compression tester if it isn't necessary. So if anyone has any ideas about what else could be causing this problem, I'd sure appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance!

Palmer

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.