noisey power steering - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2001, 04:51   #1 (permalink)

noisey power steering

Here is a tricky one for ya! Power steering makes noises when turning in place - doesnt always do it but when it does it soundz terrible. It also shudders through the wheel a bit when its doing??? Have checked oil levels and all is well, have increased idle but still no joy - Any ideas or am I off the the local mechanic.
Will greatly appreciate any ideas or comments.
cheers
KSK

kiwi skid kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2001, 06:01   #2 (permalink)
paul

Sounds like air in system????.Check fitting on return line.Front seal r/s???About $240 for an exchange one.
Old 05-17-2001, 14:41   #3 (permalink)
Australian EF XR6 Member

I had a similar problem shortly before the pump 'lunched' itself

Simon
QuarterPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 18:10   #4 (permalink)
ajrs EF XR6

Not sure what model you have but had same problem in ED. Apparently the earlier models had some probs with one of the PS pump hoses 'collapsing' on itself, restricting the fluid through the hose. Simple hydraulics problem, pump keeps pumping but not enough pressure to force the hose open properly.

The fix was to replace hose with later EF/EL hose which had more rigid casing removing the 'collapse' problem.
Old 05-17-2001, 19:16   #5 (permalink)
Jimbaddy

There is a fix for the falcons that have this problem. It can occur in EB to EF models. I'll have to check at work tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure if you fit the EL high pressure hose, along with one other mod, it will eliminate the problem. I'll post more info tomorrow when I research it.

Jimbaddy
Old 05-17-2001, 19:27   #6 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

HAD THE SAME PROBLEM ON MY ED6, TRIED THE FIXES, THEY DIDNT WORK. RACK WAS SHAGED,REPLACED IT THEN TWO WEEKS LATER THE PUMP WENT OUT TO LUNCH.
STEERING IS GRAET NOW. IT WOULD WANT TO BE, ITS ALL NEW.
CHEERS
KERRY
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 14:52   #7 (permalink)

Hey thanks guys, it is an EB2 so hopefully it will be the hose as you have had, I~m going to source a later model one as you suggested.. will let you know. THANKS AGAIN!
kiwi skid kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech