Noisy lifter cure / quietener - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2002, 22:14   #1 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Noisy lifter cure / quietener

Haven't been on the board for ages so I don't know if someone else has already covered this cure for the common problem of noisy lifters, but I've had a sticky lifter that wouldn't operate until the engine had warmed up and the oil thinned. Put 15W/40 oil in, which I think is the recommended grade anyway, and big improvement over the 25W that most places sell. Castrol GTX, but it's the grade rather than the brand that matters.
EA S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2002, 22:22   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Welcome back

The following threads may be of assistance:

http://discussions.fordforums.com/sh...ghlight=lifter

http://discussions.fordforums.com/sh...ghlight=lifter

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 03:37   #3 (permalink)

Look, I had pretty much the same problem, except that my lifters were only noisy for around 5 seconds until the engine oil reached operating PRESSURE, not temperature. This usually wouldn't be a problem and is quite normal, but they were NOISY as hell and didn't sound healthy at all.

All I would say is DON'T use anything thicker than 15w when the oil is cold..

I used 15w-50 oil which helped a little, but I still had the same problem. I just recently changed the oil, with a new filter with Mobil Synth S grade 10w-40... I also chucked in a bottle of injector cleaner into my petrol just for good measure and you know what? NO MORE NOISY LIFTERS!!

Give it a go, and if that doesn't work, get 'em physically replaced. Although I doubt noisy/sticky lifters will do any real damage to your engine. It's just more of an annoyance and embrassment.

Dave
antigravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 03:46   #4 (permalink)
Motorbike rider

Nulon e20 (i think that is the name) and castrol gtx magnatec fixed exactly the same problem in my car
Old 11-25-2002, 14:16   #5 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

I now swear by Nulon E20 ( performance engine treatment )
My lifters used to tap very loudly for about 10-15mins every morning....went out and bought a bottle of nulon E20 for about $12, added it to the oil while the engine was cold...started it up and it still tapped ( hasnt had time to work ) took it for a 15 minute drive....left it over night, started it up the next day, tapped for 2 seconds ( normal ) and has never come back

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 17:21   #6 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Re: Noisy lifter cure / quietener

Quote:
Originally posted by EA S
Haven't been on the board for ages so I don't know if someone else has already covered this cure for the common problem of noisy lifters, but I've had a sticky lifter that wouldn't operate until the engine had warmed up and the oil thinned. Put 15W/40 oil in, which I think is the recommended grade anyway, and big improvement over the 25W that most places sell. Castrol GTX, but it's the grade rather than the brand that matters.
Mate just of the topic, longtime no see, are you going to be posting on the main forums again.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 17:09   #7 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Re: Re: Noisy lifter cure / quietener

Quote:
Originally posted by XR_Strider_GuY
Mate just of the topic, longtime no see, are you going to be posting on the main forums again.
Mate, when your automotive acquisitions haven't progressed beyond 1988, this IS the main board.

Might be back in future, but still flat out working. Can be a couple of months between visits here. Stupid people I work for generously put a computer connected to the internet on my desk but don't give me time to use it for its intended purpose of avoiding work. What is the point of that?

Congrats on the nice new wheels.
EA S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 20:36   #8 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Re: Re: Re: Noisy lifter cure / quietener

Quote:
Originally posted by EA S
Mate, when your automotive acquisitions haven't progressed beyond 1988, this IS the main board.

Might be back in future, but still flat out working. Can be a couple of months between visits here. Stupid people I work for generously put a computer connected to the internet on my desk but don't give me time to use it for its intended purpose of avoiding work. What is the point of that?

Congrats on the nice new wheels.
Thanks mate, good to see you around anyways.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech