Ford Forums banner

Noisy lifter cure / quietener

10K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  XR_Strider_GuY 
#1 ·
Haven't been on the board for ages so I don't know if someone else has already covered this cure for the common problem of noisy lifters, but I've had a sticky lifter that wouldn't operate until the engine had warmed up and the oil thinned. Put 15W/40 oil in, which I think is the recommended grade anyway, and big improvement over the 25W that most places sell. Castrol GTX, but it's the grade rather than the brand that matters.

#3 ·
Look, I had pretty much the same problem, except that my lifters were only noisy for around 5 seconds until the engine oil reached operating PRESSURE, not temperature. This usually wouldn't be a problem and is quite normal, but they were NOISY as hell and didn't sound healthy at all.

All I would say is DON'T use anything thicker than 15w when the oil is cold..

I used 15w-50 oil which helped a little, but I still had the same problem. I just recently changed the oil, with a new filter with Mobil Synth S grade 10w-40... I also chucked in a bottle of injector cleaner into my petrol just for good measure and you know what? NO MORE NOISY LIFTERS!!

Give it a go, and if that doesn't work, get 'em physically replaced. Although I doubt noisy/sticky lifters will do any real damage to your engine. It's just more of an annoyance and embrassment.

Dave

#5 ·
I now swear by Nulon E20 ( performance engine treatment )
My lifters used to tap very loudly for about 10-15mins every morning....went out and bought a bottle of nulon E20 for about $12, added it to the oil while the engine was cold...started it up and it still tapped ( hasnt had time to work ) took it for a 15 minute drive....left it over night, started it up the next day, tapped for 2 seconds ( normal ) and has never come back

#6 ·
EA S said:
Haven't been on the board for ages so I don't know if someone else has already covered this cure for the common problem of noisy lifters, but I've had a sticky lifter that wouldn't operate until the engine had warmed up and the oil thinned. Put 15W/40 oil in, which I think is the recommended grade anyway, and big improvement over the 25W that most places sell. Castrol GTX, but it's the grade rather than the brand that matters.
Mate just of the topic, longtime no see, are you going to be posting on the main forums again.

#7 ·
Re: Re: Noisy lifter cure / quietener

XR_Strider_GuY said:
Mate just of the topic, longtime no see, are you going to be posting on the main forums again.
Mate, when your automotive acquisitions haven't progressed beyond 1988, this IS the main board.

Might be back in future, but still flat out working. Can be a couple of months between visits here. Stupid people I work for generously put a computer connected to the internet on my desk but don't give me time to use it for its intended purpose of avoiding work. What is the point of that?

Congrats on the nice new wheels.

#8 ·
Re: Re: Re: Noisy lifter cure / quietener

EA S said:
Mate, when your automotive acquisitions haven't progressed beyond 1988, this IS the main board.

Might be back in future, but still flat out working. Can be a couple of months between visits here. Stupid people I work for generously put a computer connected to the internet on my desk but don't give me time to use it for its intended purpose of avoiding work. What is the point of that?

Congrats on the nice new wheels.
Thanks mate, good to see you around anyways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.