Non ford q's - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2005, 07:52   #1 (permalink)

Non ford q's

Hi,

I looked at a cheap hilix 2wd today to build as a runabout instead of my clevo xd. Anyway, I see it has had a patch on the chassis and two floor patches, kind of close to where the cab bolts onto the chassis.

Does anyone know how welded patches on chassis and floors go on a roadworthy check?

It is cheap enough and could turn out to be a handy little ute.

Cheers,
Ray
raytriplej is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2005, 04:15   #2 (permalink)
Proudly Average

Re: Non ford q's

How old is it? I'd recommend making sure you get a 5-speed model, and definately DO NOT get the "Stout" variant with the lower gearing - 4 speed Hiluxes will top out at 110, and a Stout will barely pull 90 at 5000rpm in top gear.
.020 over 351 Clevo, 10:1 comp, ported 302 heads, blueprinted and balanced, custom ground cam, Edelbrock intake, 600 Holley, K&N air filter, Custom Zip-Ties(tm), MSD ignition, Genie extractors, 2 x 2.5" exhaust, 2800rpm stally, rooted C4
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 16:20   #3 (permalink)

1980 with a 2L and five speed.

I spoke to a mechanic friend who does roadworthys and he said a welded chassis and floof will pass so I think I will be buying my next project!

Ray
Old 05-09-2005, 00:59   #4 (permalink)

Went and had one last look before I agreed to buy it and decided that the cab mounting points needed replacing which is a bit beyond me so "no sale".

Anyway, the $500 saved will buy me a nine inch with disc brakes for the falcon!!!

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech