is this normal? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2002, 03:47   #1 (permalink)

is this normal?

hi guys,

I am running the following on my car,

6 X 9's Xplode 4 way 330W
6 1/2" splits Xpolde 200W
12" 1200W Xplode sub
Xplode head unit
2x300W RMS Channel Xplode Amp (for sub)
4x50W RMS Channel Clarion

Problem is, the battery gauge on my car now sits at 12V or just over when idling... it used to sit at around 14V... is this "normal" and am I going to have any trouble with my battery?!

Cheers.

Kieran.
BA XR8 Manual, BluePrint, Momo Steering, Momo Shifter, Leather, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Premium Brakes, 20" X 8.5" HP Hekitk Wheels. Herrod Lowering Springs and Chip, Brad Garlic Reprogramme, NO REAR SPOILER.
Kawasaki ZX 10R, Lime Green. 0-100kms/hr 2.8 sec, 0-160kms/hr in under 5.5 sec. 0-400m 9.4 sec. First gear sees you to 185kms/hr. THE CHAMP IS HERE!
Kypez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2002, 05:40   #2 (permalink)

Check the voltage at the battery with a multimeter. If its 13.8-14.4 then its all good, otherwise your battery will eventually stuff up. It could take anywhere between 1 month and 36 months....
Old 10-28-2002, 05:59   #3 (permalink)

that narrows it down... lol...

but thanks xf_xr6, I'll check it tomorrow...
BA XR8 Manual, BluePrint, Momo Steering, Momo Shifter, Leather, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Premium Brakes, 20" X 8.5" HP Hekitk Wheels. Herrod Lowering Springs and Chip, Brad Garlic Reprogramme, NO REAR SPOILER.
Kawasaki ZX 10R, Lime Green. 0-100kms/hr 2.8 sec, 0-160kms/hr in under 5.5 sec. 0-400m 9.4 sec. First gear sees you to 185kms/hr. THE CHAMP IS HERE!
Old 10-28-2002, 06:01   #4 (permalink)

oh yeah, its a fairly new battery... I put it in March, but the car was off the from april till a month ago... so i guess it would be fair to say its quite new... judging its run for 3 months/8000kms...
Old 10-28-2002, 06:21   #5 (permalink)

No worries mate....

I've had a similar prob im my car. Ive had 2 batteries replaced under warranty... LOL... Glad they didn't check my charging system or they might not of replaced em!!
Old 10-28-2002, 15:50   #6 (permalink)
Australian EB Fairmont Ghia Member

Ive got the same problem... the problem is with the alternator, not the battery. At idle your alternator isnt providing enough charge to run your electricals + audio gear. I was advised to install a capacitor but that didnt fix the problem.... next I will be getting a better alternator with a better regulator.

1993 EBII Fairmont Ghia 5.0L Wagon,
Lowered, Tinted, 17" Speedy Ravens & 2.5" Sports Exhaust.
( 1 of 26 built )

AND

1985 Telstar TX5 Turbo, stock as a rock.
eb_5litre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 17:11   #7 (permalink)
Australian EL Wagon Member

Yep eb_5litre is right - get yourself an EL alternator - I'm told they are 110a - if need-be cover all your bases and also look at an Optima yellow top gel cell deep cycle battery - 650 cca - designed for audio nuts etc.

Kypez, I recall you having an EF yeah ? - I think the EF I6 alternators were only 88a or something...but don't quote me on that - it's just something I heard in and around the place.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 10-28-2002, 17:26   #8 (permalink)

yeah... might do that... my car is is an EB with ED XR8 motor, EL front end... hehehe... so my alt is ED... so dont know the specs on that... oh well, its just for a while... cause I'm trading it in for a Barra XR8... just wanted to know if I was in any immediate danger... all this gear is going into the new car... if I have probs then... I'll post something up then... but I just wanted to know if there was any immediate danger... thats all...

cheers.
Old 10-28-2002, 20:41   #9 (permalink)
Australian EB Fairmont Ghia Member

My latest replacement alternator is a Baxters 95amp...... when it dies I might go all out and get a Stinger 200amp jobby.

1993 EBII Fairmont Ghia 5.0L Wagon,
Lowered, Tinted, 17" Speedy Ravens & 2.5" Sports Exhaust.
( 1 of 26 built )

AND

1985 Telstar TX5 Turbo, stock as a rock.
eb_5litre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 02:53   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by eb_5litre
Ive got the same problem... the problem is with the alternator, not the battery. At idle your alternator isnt providing enough charge to run your electricals + audio gear. I was advised to install a capacitor but that didnt fix the problem.... next I will be getting a better alternator with a better regulator.
i dont see how a capacitor will give you a 14V charge when idling? They are to stop sudden drops in voltage, eg. headlight dimming from bass beats.

Also upgrade your earth wiring etc in your engine. Make sure the earth wire form battery is big enough, also engine to earth and sometimes people also change alternator wiring.
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech