"not so" smart lock - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2002, 00:10   #1 (permalink)
Don't be a sheep

"not so" smart lock

A strange thing happened to my EF wagon the other day. I parked the car in the driveway at home, when I pressed the button to lock the doors the locks kept going up and down continually for about 40 seconds. Another thing when I unlocked the door got in and closed the door all the doors locked by
themselves.

The problem was the locking system in the tailgate, some water had gotten in there and corroded some of the rods and it could not move freely.

Has anyone else had the same problem?:oo1:
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2002, 00:37   #2 (permalink)
Dual Exhaust Warrior™

My Ef has a freaky Smartlock system as well. It too locked me in when i shut the drivers door??? Did it twice and then never again. It really likes to not want to lock eg when a door is open and it makes that beeping noise ... well it does that on a monthly basis even tho everything is shut. WTF????? One thing i noticed it usually does it when one of the central locking motors is about to carck it. I have now disconnected the drivers door motor and it works sweet... for now... im not goin to replace it as it likes to blow the motors every couple of years.
Old 05-02-2002, 00:41   #3 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

Re: "not so" smart lock

Quote:
Originally posted by ELXR8
A strange thing happened to my EF wagon the other day. I parked the car in the driveway at home, when I pressed the button to lock the doors the locks kept going up and down continually for about 40 seconds. Another thing when I unlocked the door got in and closed the door all the doors locked by
themselves.

The problem was the locking system in the tailgate, some water had gotten in there and corroded some of the rods and it could not move freely.

Has anyone else had the same problem?:oo1:
The 'dancing door locks' is a common problem and was covered under warrenty. 3 different locking motors are floating around for EF/L's, one can't be upgraded, 2. I think is fixable and 3. is a complete replacement.
I suspect that the fixed ones are less sensative.

I found on my EF, that the passenger door was the cause of my problems, I removed the plastic rod/lock button (its not really needed anyway) and the problems went away!!

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 00:59   #4 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Welcome to the world of central locking.

The ED's gone crazy once or twice but calmed down of late.
Touch wood.
Old 05-02-2002, 01:43   #5 (permalink)

my EF wagon does that too, occasionally the smartlock wont lock the doors, it will do the beepy thing as if one of the doors are not closed properly even though they are and like you they do the 30 second dance and then lock all by themselves.
I must say I find it very amusing, theres nothing like Australian made!
SimonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 02:30   #6 (permalink)
5Litres of Ford Power

Yeah my old EB used to do that as well. It was sooo freaky, I have seen it open itself after it had been sitting there locked for a few minutes. Luckily it only did it twice and both times I was next to the car so I re-locked it. It sometimes played dancing door locks as well when all of the doors were properly closed, mainly when I went to open it with the remote. My EB was series 1 so it was not the proper "smart lock" but had the factory central locking as it was a Fairmont. A mate of mine mum's EB II also did the same thing.

I have an EL now and I have had zero problems with the smart lock *touch wood*.
Old 05-02-2002, 02:41   #7 (permalink)

I havent had Dancing door looks really, but a few times now i have locked the doors and when i get back to the car they are unlocked....
I allways though that i just kept forgeting to lock them
( allthough i was pretty sure i had) untill a few weeks back when i locked my car but stood outside talking, and after a few mins i heard the central locking noise and sure enough after checking i realised that the doors were unlocked again...... : (

This doesnt happen very often but just the few times it has has made me very uneasy about parking at the shopping center.... :(

not sure if this is a related problem but if anyone has any info on this any help would be appreciated...... : )

Thanx..
Kwigibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 03:48   #8 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

I find this happens when they are out of sequence or one is jamming/tight,door not shut properly...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 05:28   #9 (permalink)
Australian EB Fairmont Ghia Member

your lucky... atleast your tailgate one works.

1993 EBII Fairmont Ghia 5.0L Wagon,
Lowered, Tinted, 17" Speedy Ravens & 2.5" Sports Exhaust.
( 1 of 26 built )

AND

1985 Telstar TX5 Turbo, stock as a rock.
eb_5litre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 07:11   #10 (permalink)
Ex Member

I've never had problems with mine as such, but ive noticed on the 2, and last 2 ill own, that when you unlock the car, open a door, then close it, after 5 minutes it automatically locks itself again. is this meant to happen or is it stuffed?

also noticed on the nf2 fairlane when i was working on the suspension, i as usual have the radio blaring away, after a few hours it turned it self off. scared the hell out of me hearing the antenna go down didnt know what was happening. surly its not smart enough to turn of the radio to save the radio.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech