Nulon products... Carb400 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2002, 19:07   #1 (permalink)
Chasing down oil leaks...

Nulon products... Carb400

I know everyone has major opinions on the subject of oil additives and that some say they work and others don't. Personally I think that my car made less lifter noise when I put Nulon E20 in it with Castrol GTX2 20W-50 than it does now with just Shell Helix Plus 15W-50 in it. So on Tuesday I am going to get another bottle of it and put that in.

That aside I was checking out their website and I saw a new product that I hadn't seen before - Nulon Carb400 Carby and Throttle Body Cleaner.

Quote from Nulon site - "Nulon Carby and Throttle Body Cleaner is specifically formulated to quickly and easily remove gum, sludge, varnish, grease and dirt build-up from carburettors, throttle bodies, automatic chokes, PCV and EGR valves."

It comes in an aerosol can which I assume you spray into the throttle body. Anyone heard of it or used it before? I looked in the throttle body of my CFI and it looked pretty dirty inside and I was thinking of giving this stuff a go if I can find it...

Dan...

Axeman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2002, 03:23   #2 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Not too sure about the carb400 as I havent used it, but the other carb cleaners on the market work pretty well.

As for the Nulon E20...I now swear by this stuff!
The total fuel system cleaner and performance Octane Booster products are meant to be very effective

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 06:41   #3 (permalink)
Chasing down oil leaks...

Yeah I reckon the E20 stuff is good too. I asked the same question on Aus.Cars newsgroup and after reading the posts and just general other topics I gotta say they are a bunch of arguing narrow minded people that I don't take seriously at all. A few have said that all Nulon products are rubbish even though I'm sure that more than half of em have never even tried one.

I'm gonna see if I can find this stuff and give it a whirl... And chuck in some E20...

Dan...

Axeman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 16:27   #4 (permalink)
So Play Nice

If I remember rightly, you spray the Carb cleaner in with the engine running. Have not used it on an EFI car so not sure about that. It also has a tendancy to extinguish the flame so you have to be a little careful or the car will stall.

What about power steering and auto boxes? Do they make products for these and are they any good?

Pete
OFR #23

Member - ATPS - Automatic Transmission Preservation Society

SVO Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 18:21   #5 (permalink)

I used to own a carby vehicle, which got some dirty fuel at some point. Carby cleaner style products used to work wonders - cleaned up a lot of the gunk on the butterflies and in the throttle body - left the car running smoother.

Conversly, I have been told by a very good mechanic (some years back) that these products can be damaging. In particular (on the same vehicle), the sealant around the tubes holding the spark plugs (this was a Toyota 2 litre) was eaten away (not sure if it was an effect of the carby cleaner or not) resulting in a $600 remove and reseal type repair (something I would probably do myself these days).

Anyway, like anything I suppose, use these products in moderation. I myself would like to try a product Nulon has on the market, which is supposed to help clean out engine sludge. You put it in just before an oil change, run the engine for about 15 minutes, then change the oil as normal. Sounds sensible...will just have to see how much darker the oil is when it comes out.

Damien
damienpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 18:51   #6 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

well I have also used that Transmission conditioner on my old 85LE and it helped it last the 3 months I needed it for.
It almost completely stopped the trans leak too, so i'd say it did what I wanted it to do.
Engine Oil flush is a good product too..
my brother uses that performance octane booster/fuel system cleaner all the time and loves it!
I have found Wynns products to be alot less effective though...stick to Nulon

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 01:38   #7 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

Well we use a throttle body cleaner and an engine flush made by proform at work.

Our throttle body cleaner is just a carby cleaner, but its not an aerosol, we have a special tool that goes into the bottle and has a valve on it with a tube that can be connected to a vacuum line going to the plenum chamber. You then control how much enters the inlet manifold to prevent stalling. I have noticed the difference this product makes and I for one can definitley say it does good for performance on an older car.

We also have an engine flush, add to the oil and run the engine for 15 minutes. You dont really see the oil coming out darker or anything, what you do notice is the black gunk around the filler cap goes away, when you dip the dipstick after the oil change the oil looks exactly like it went in, no black shit on the dipstick. Again you do notice the difference after its performed.

We also do a power steer flush, add a flushing liquid like the engine flush, change the oil a few times then add the conditioner, again it does make a difference, you can feel the steering being a bit more smoother.
The same thing is also used as a transmission flush, I cant say if it makes a difference or not as I haven't done one of these yet.

I say if your engine really needs it do it, but otherwise dont make it a regular thing at service time.
Stock as a Rock for the moment

TQE's
XplodEd EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 04:21   #8 (permalink)
So Play Nice

Ed,

Where abouts is your work. I am after a power steering flush etc. Any idea what it costs. Email baeddan@hotmail.com if you don;t want to stick it here

Pete
OFR #23

Member - ATPS - Automatic Transmission Preservation Society

SVO Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 04:58   #9 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

Supercheap stocks the proform range, I work for a Hyundai Dealership so you're better off just going to Supercheap and getting it. Cost I think is around $30, it may be less tho, I'm not too sure of the price.

It's in two bottles, one bottle is a flush and the other is a treatment. The way we do it at work is we suck most of what we can out of the resevoir with our fancy pump thing, put the flush in and turn the wheel lock to lock with the engine running several times. Then we suck that out and put in dexIII and turn the wheel lock to lock several times and repeat that process several times. Then suck out most of it again and fill the resevoir with the treatment. Instructions are on the bottle anyway
Stock as a Rock for the moment

TQE's
XplodEd EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 06:22   #10 (permalink)
V8 XW Ute/APV Kitted EBII

Mate how r ya?

As a manager of one of the Autobarn stores here in Sydney, can I suggest sticking with the Nulon products to give ur engine, radiator, and g/box the best treatment there is without ruining ur pride and joy. We swear buy all the products, as we have used them in our own cars and they are at an excellent price, usually $10 for the flushes and round $20 for the Pro Strength Octane Booster..and with oil, I use Penrite HPR 15 in my EB, which is superb for this time of year.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech