Number Plate Surrounds - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2001, 01:33   #1 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

Number Plate Surrounds

Sorry, wasn't sure if this was specifically 'technical' or a general discussion topic.

I've just switched from ye olde yellow plates to a spiffy set of personalised premium plates. The front is fine, but the back is a slight problem. Being a shorter plate, the original 4 holes (with plugs, so it does look neat) were for the old sized plate, so the bottom plugs/holes are visible below the new plate.

Does anyone know of someone who sells a black plastic premium plate surrounds that would allow me to screw the bottom of the surround into the original bottom holes? I was thinking of surrounds not unlike those car dealers use, with a fatter bottom strip to hold the dealer number/number. I tried Auto 1 but they only had fat plastic covers held on very badly, which would not have solved my problem - and I'm not concerned with 'covering' the plate as such.
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2001, 02:28   #2 (permalink)

What we do at work is use a thin alloy sheet screwed to the holes and then fit the numberplate to the sheet. A local Limo company does the same thing. Can be done really smick IF you are careful.
Old 07-08-2001, 03:12   #3 (permalink)

You can buy number plate frames from here, not sure if there exactly what your looking for but its worth a try!

http://www.automania.com.au/category143_1.htm
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2001, 04:03   #4 (permalink)
Australian ED XR6 Member

One of the tricks I did for my fathers car (EF Falcon) was to take a trip to your local plastics/perspex company. Give them the dimensions of a standard number plate (From memory it's 135 x 370 - I've made a few blanks up in my time) and get them to cut you up two blanks out of offcuts (If your lucky they will do it for next to nothing)
Then simply screw your plates to the blanks and mount them on the car. (Works really well with odd sizes plates - like the NSW 5 figure personalised plates, & premium plates.)
Wulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2001, 05:10   #5 (permalink)

I've got the thin plate at the rear as well. Ive bought a spare set of plugs (cost about $1 each) and am going to paint them body color (galaxy for me), remove the original black ones and refit the body color ones and hopefully they wont stand any more.

I think ford should delete the lower plugs. If the large plates are used, then just use the top holes and maybe at the bottom the plate can rest on some 3m clear tape (to stop rattles and paint scratching.

Good cost save for Ford as well 30 or 40c per car! Doesnt sound much but it all adds up.
batbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2001, 16:51   #6 (permalink)
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL

I have 5 digit NSW plates, and all 4 plugs are showing,

As I had to drill holes in the steel to take the plates.

I took out my old plugs and painted them body colour. They look good, and dont stand out much at all.
jaytyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech