Obscure Door Hinge Question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2002, 07:30   #1 (permalink)

Obscure Door Hinge Question

Hi I'm doing up a XE Falcon Ute.

I'm having the door hinges electro plated, and have run into a problem. The hinge on the drivers side door is hinged with pins that are circliped on the bottom.

The pivots on the door hinge on the passengers side are peened over and hence cannot be dissassembled without an angle grider...

What model had the door hinges with the removeable pins ? I can't plate the hinge as a unit as there is a plastic bush in there.

Thanks for your time

Simon

ps as soon as I have the bottom end together I post a few pictures if anyone is interested...

385 Big Block, Pro-Gram billet four bolt caps, Oliver billet rods, Je Forged Pistons 8.5:1 comp (guess the induction), Milodon Gear Drive, Custom 4340 Billet Crank 4.5" stroke (545 ci) Should scare a few of those Chebby boys lol
BigBlock545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2002, 19:44   #2 (permalink)
C0V3R

XA,XB,XC and 64-73 mustangs all had removable pin hinges. The mustang hinges have a different style of spring comared to the Aussie fords, but you can still get new hinges at mustang part sellers all around Aus if interested. Also the XA-C stuff is available from rare spares @ $42 per door IIRC.
Old 06-11-2002, 19:52   #3 (permalink)
351 - What a magic number

Big Block, the best suggestion I can come up with for your hinges, is that you machine / file / or grind the pins to get them out.
You can still get the bushes from Ford as far as I know. The way to do it otherwise is to chase someone up who has a lathe.
They could machine up new pins and bushes for you, and then it
would be only a simple matter of peening the ends of the new pins, once you've reassembled them. A mate did this when he was doing up an XE and the hinges work fine.

Ed :)

HSV - I just don't want one....EVER!

My XF 3 on the tree ute is ALWAYS stuck in third......
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 19:54   #4 (permalink)
351 - What a magic number

I'd love to see some pictures of your ute too.
They just might get me up and working on mine that's
sitting in the garage!!

Ed :)

HSV - I just don't want one....EVER!

My XF 3 on the tree ute is ALWAYS stuck in third......
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 21:54   #5 (permalink)

You would laugh if you saw the ute

It the moment the ute is no more than a shell with no front sheet metal even. (I've almost collected all of the FE LTD front sheet metal) I might go check out a few XA-XC at the wreckers and suss out the hinges on them.

I've been to a couple of wreckers down here in melbourne and I've looked at XD-XF and all of them have hinges that are peened.

I'm too embaressed to show what the ute looks like at the moment but when it's finished I'm sure to bore you all with picture, upon picture, upon picture....

Thanks for the advice guys

Simon

BigBlock545
Old 06-11-2002, 21:59   #6 (permalink)
Bring Back the 24hr!!!

You can still get those bushes because in NSW they have actually started knocking us back on rego if the bushes are too worn and the door is able to be moved up and down when only part of the way open.. can be a pr!ck of a job too
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 01:13   #7 (permalink)

Hinge debarcle continued

Well I went to a local Ford wreckers down here in the western suburbs of melbourne.

The XA - XC hinges look nothing like XD-XF/H so I asked the owner about the removable pins. He told me it was more than likely an aftermarket hinge.

I though I would do a search on rare-spares web site..... and low and behold I found what I was looking for. Is called a Door Hinge Repair Kit for $17.95 + p&h. They also sell the door hinge bushes as well.

I'll try posing a picture:

These are exactly like the one I found on the door of the ute.

Anyhow thank you all again

Simon
Old 06-12-2002, 02:41   #8 (permalink)
Australian ED XR6 Member

I remember repairing door hinges on my old XF, I went & got the ford manufactured ones, but after taking a look at them decided to turn up a set of bushes out of brass instead.
Wulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 03:04   #9 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

Re: Hinge debarcle continued

Quote:
Originally posted by BigBlock545
Well I went to a local Ford wreckers down here in the western suburbs of melbourne.

The XA - XC hinges look nothing like XD-XF/H so I asked the owner about the removable pins. He told me it was more than likely an aftermarket hinge.

I though I would do a search on rare-spares web site..... and low and behold I found what I was looking for. Is called a Door Hinge Repair Kit for $17.95 + p&h. They also sell the door hinge bushes as well.

I'll try posing a picture:

These are exactly like the one I found on the door of the ute.

Anyhow thank you all again

Simon
Heres a hint, those nylon bushes can wear out fairly quickly, see if you can get metal ones, they are either bronze or copper.
Most Mustang places have these pin kits and will supply either the nylon or metal bushes, not sure if they are the same size as XD-XF pins/bushes though.

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech