Ford Forums banner

oil brands

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Soxx 
#1 ·
Ive got an au2 xl ute i6,.I usually use shell helix eco 10w/30,but this oil change decided to use the valvoline 10w/30.Ive now got lifter /bearing noise ,not too bad ,but louder than it was before.Well i could hardly notice it using the shell oil.There isnt anything i could of damaged doing a straight forward oil/filter change,so im thinking its the oil.Could there be a difference between the two,besides the price.The shell is 7-8 dollars dearer.Also in the book ,it says the engines ,with a new filter hold 5.5 litres.I can only get 5 litres in mine and its bang on the full mark.Any help would be gladly appreciated .Thanks guys.

#2 ·
yea i have the same thing with the amount of oil to go in the car...

the only difference could have been the rating, and by that i dont mean the weight.

There is an SJ/CF rating on the oil. The higher the S"J"/C"F" rating, the letters in "". The further they are down the alphabet the more refined etc.. the oil is...

#3 ·
I only use Mobil1 fully syn, revs so much cleaner and feels more alive then the Helix, Valvoline ... i will nerver touch that crap, it should be banned that's how shit it is.

#4 ·
CLARKEY said:
Ive got an au2 xl ute i6,.I usually use shell helix eco 10w/30,but this oil change decided to use the valvoline 10w/30.Ive now got lifter /bearing noise ,not too bad ,but louder than it was before.Well i could hardly notice it using the shell oil.There isnt anything i could of damaged doing a straight forward oil/filter change,so im thinking its the oil.Could there be a difference between the two,besides the price.The shell is 7-8 dollars dearer.Also in the book ,it says the engines ,with a new filter hold 5.5 litres.I can only get 5 litres in mine and its bang on the full mark.Any help would be gladly appreciated .Thanks guys.
We use valvoline at work & it seems reasonable, although there is lash adjuster noise present at cruise/light load at 1200 rpm after the oil is changed. It's not the normal tap type noise though which seems to be a characteristic of this oil in these engines with lash adjuster type setup. It won't cause any damage to the engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.