oil brands - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2004, 02:27   #1 (permalink)

oil brands

Ive got an au2 xl ute i6,.I usually use shell helix eco 10w/30,but this oil change decided to use the valvoline 10w/30.Ive now got lifter /bearing noise ,not too bad ,but louder than it was before.Well i could hardly notice it using the shell oil.There isnt anything i could of damaged doing a straight forward oil/filter change,so im thinking its the oil.Could there be a difference between the two,besides the price.The shell is 7-8 dollars dearer.Also in the book ,it says the engines ,with a new filter hold 5.5 litres.I can only get 5 litres in mine and its bang on the full mark.Any help would be gladly appreciated .Thanks guys.
CLARKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2004, 02:42   #2 (permalink)

Re: oil brands

yea i have the same thing with the amount of oil to go in the car...

the only difference could have been the rating, and by that i dont mean the weight.

There is an SJ/CF rating on the oil. The higher the S"J"/C"F" rating, the letters in "". The further they are down the alphabet the more refined etc.. the oil is...

94 ED Futura
PROUD TQE OPERATOR
13.822 @ 99.67MPH - Willowbank 05/08/2006
OED666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 03:44   #3 (permalink)
no tire smoke no fun!

I only use Mobil1 fully syn, revs so much cleaner and feels more alive then the Helix, Valvoline ... i will nerver touch that crap, it should be banned that's how shit it is.

There is a war inside my head, if I take a day off I'll die!

This cat, is cat, a cat, good cat, way cat, to cat, keep cat, a cat, idiot cat, busy cat, for cat, 20 cat, seconds cat! Now read it all without the word cat!
zbenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 04:28   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLARKEY
Ive got an au2 xl ute i6,.I usually use shell helix eco 10w/30,but this oil change decided to use the valvoline 10w/30.Ive now got lifter /bearing noise ,not too bad ,but louder than it was before.Well i could hardly notice it using the shell oil.There isnt anything i could of damaged doing a straight forward oil/filter change,so im thinking its the oil.Could there be a difference between the two,besides the price.The shell is 7-8 dollars dearer.Also in the book ,it says the engines ,with a new filter hold 5.5 litres.I can only get 5 litres in mine and its bang on the full mark.Any help would be gladly appreciated .Thanks guys.
We use valvoline at work & it seems reasonable, although there is lash adjuster noise present at cruise/light load at 1200 rpm after the oil is changed. It's not the normal tap type noise though which seems to be a characteristic of this oil in these engines with lash adjuster type setup. It won't cause any damage to the engine.
SPALDING GREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 15:48   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for that guys.
CLARKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 16:43   #6 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

Use Penrite HPR10, OZ made, and excellent.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech