Oil Cap Effed Up... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2001, 06:32   #1 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Oil Cap Effed Up...

Well as what the topic states my oil cap has effed it today. And the fluck thing is just before i was about to go out i wanted to do a quick clean of engine bay and wash the car. What did i find the oil cap hangin off and half the thread inside the engine. "NOT HAPPY JAN" :eek: :eek: :eek: .

So i had to pull the rocker cover off, first time in my life i done such a thing. All went pretty smoothly and i found the chopped thread. A chip of the thread has gone, so as a preventative measure i bought $70 worth of fluids to be sure.
Firstly i put some oil flush in the engine then drain the oil and added new Mobil 1 and about 1/2 bottle of Nulon E-20.

So far the engine appears ok, and luck that the chopped thread was found. Only thing i'm abit worried is a chipped thread of the cap is somewhere in the engine, hope it didn't screw anything.

While the job was done to take the rocker cover off i detailed the engine bay as i went, so the leads are sparkling firewall green as and all the hoses blackened. Also cleaned the Throttle body abit.

Well so far all is well an the engine has been flushed out.

A word of advise for falcon owners if your car has done over 150k check your oil cap and replace it just incase.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2001, 04:59   #2 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Oh yeah, can i borrow an oil cap anyone????? My baby has a piece of cardboard with masking tape covering the oil fill hole. :p :p :p
Does the job...
I ain't gunna drive it though

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
Old 08-05-2001, 05:16   #3 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

heh.. dun worry about fux0ring your motor, I bought my Falcon and did an oil change on it first weekend, What did I find at the bottom of the icecream container? a little metal clip, looks like one you'd find from a carby kit.. Theyre very durable motors, but I can understand not wanting to get bits of plastic stuck inside it.

Does the piece of thread you pulled out match up to the bit missing from the oil cap? if so, then youre laughing!
discokin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 06:56   #4 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally posted by discokin6
heh.. dun worry about fux0ring your motor, I bought my Falcon and did an oil change on it first weekend, What did I find at the bottom of the icecream container? a little metal clip, looks like one you'd find from a carby kit.. Theyre very durable motors, but I can understand not wanting to get bits of plastic stuck inside it.

Does the piece of thread you pulled out match up to the bit missing from the oil cap? if so, then youre laughing!
Yeah the thread match's up, but theres a little chip of the thread that i couldn't find so thats why i done the engine oil flush and stuff to just incase eliminate the problem. Yeah i know what you mean engines are durable things. "Touch's Wood".

Old 08-05-2001, 21:24   #5 (permalink)
100% Speeding (when safe)

That happened to me on my ED not long ago. The thread practically crumbled into the filler hole. I got some long nose pliers and pulled it all out though, I know cos it matched up to a full oil cap, phew.
I got a new cap, its from an AU but has wrong info on it, says the wrong oil grade on it for my car. It fits well though. It says to fill with 10-30 oil or something.
I put much thicker oil 20-50 in mine. I once tried magnatec thats 25-40 or something, but My trained ear could hear a slight extra ticking noise on startup (just for a few seconds), so i pulled it straight out. But only after a few speed tests. It actually went faster. About 3 or 4 ks for the quarter mile faster. About 148 instead of 144 or so.
I may put it in again if i have a go at the drags
ED Manual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 20:39   #6 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

HEY Discokin6,

That clip you found sounds very similar to a retainer clip off a roll on timing chain - is it sort of oblong shaped, not just circular? If that's what it is, very nasty things could happen to your engine - you need to check your chain asap.

What happens with those rollon type chains is that people put the clip on the wrong way round and it gets flicked off when it contacts the chain guides (I know 'cause I've done it - incredible coincidence that I spotted it missing one day when I was doing a double check on the cam gear bolt after fitting a new cam - ie. coincidence that the chain connecting link had stopped at the top where I was able to see it).
EDFUTURA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 08:02   #7 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Just what he wanted to hear! Sleep well?
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 08:35   #8 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

Hahaha that makes me laugh, Thanks ED, But i just put in a new motor today.. lol!

hehe an 83 XE Fairmont motor, rebuilt by Veale, 2bbl 34/34 Weber, roller timing chain etc etc.. and IT FLIES! like 80 km/h in 1st, peaking at 5 grand, the rest of the story is still rosy as :)

Only problem is that the battery isnt charging :\ Ah well, i'm going to rebuild the other motor and put it into a dirt dragster or something like that, 400kg max with a Falcon motor, nothing will keep that back :)

But yeah, good to see someone on the ball there, but i'm pretty certain it was from a carby.. heh. That other motor was the factory motor, 600,000 km worth of tough driving in an XD wagon hehe
discokin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 18:04   #9 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Only 600.000klm ??? And I bet if you kept it going it would do more too.
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 19:22   #10 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

The strangest thing I've found in a motor was one of those smooth round pebbles like you find on pathways or rock gardens (about 12mm diameter). It was sitting sort of on top of the tensioner housing inside the front cover - heck knows how it got there!
EDFUTURA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech