Oil Light + Leaking Oil - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2002, 20:27   #1 (permalink)
As Sober as Steve Bracks

confused Oil Light + Leaking Oil

Hi guys,

Last night without me knowing my EA started leaking oil.

I put in a bit this morning, and my oil light is still on and still beeping......

My question is, wil this oil light and beeper sound if there is TOO much oil in the car?
XplodBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2002, 22:22   #2 (permalink)

Hmmm...I'm not too sure about this series Falcon. The oil light is normally on when there is no oil pressure. There is normally some sort of pressure mechanism, which closes a circuit (to the light on the dash) when there is no pressure (hence the light comes on when you first start the car, and the oil pump has not built up pressure yet). I would not think that an oil pressure indicator should light up when there is too much oil in a car.

There could be a few causes. Perhaps in a modern car there may be an electronic fault with monitoring systems (if any). The switch mechanism can also jam - leaving the light on. Don't ignore the possibility that there is something wrong with the oil pressure in your system.

If your dipstick shows enough oil, then it could be some problem with the oil pump. Perhaps it is faulty or maybe it isn't sucking up the oil. Have you looked around to see where the oil is coming from?

Shame they don't put oil pressure gauges in...although they are prone to innaccuracy - at least you would have been able to see if the pressure dropped suddenly, or if it has been dropping for awhile and has just reached the threshold to cause the indicator to light up.

Get it sorted quickly!

Damien
damienpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 23:37   #3 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Is the oil leaking out of the Oil pressure switch? If it is it will have low oil pressure and piss like a race horse.....Clean the engine up and locate the leak, if its the switch, replace it ( Between $25-$50 )

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 01:12   #4 (permalink)

Don't drive it until you are sure of proper oil pressure or you will ftbt.

Pressure can be checked by a gauge attached where the sending unit is. Ring up the RAC whatever, or get a mobile mechanic. Where is the oil leaking from and what is the level on the dipstick?
Is your drain plug tight?
Old 10-10-2002, 02:43   #5 (permalink)
As Sober as Steve Bracks

Just an Update for anyone whos online,

its now not even starting.....hmmmm as soon as i got the beeping and the red oil light, i didnt drive it.. it hasnt been driven all day.

Now when i try to turn it over, the thing wont even start.... oil levels are fine, it appears to be leaking from somewhere near the sump.... but the sump plug is fine....

Im by no means a mechanic, but is there any way this could be the EA Head/Head gasket problem?? Its never played up since i got it, and only started to play up last night.... now it wont even go....
Old 10-10-2002, 07:13   #6 (permalink)

A blown head gasket shouldn't kill oil pressure...somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway...if it is then you should be getting oil in your radiator.

Where's the oil pump in these things - somewhere near the oil filter? Check around there for problems...is the oil filter still screwed on firmly (don't try to tighten it - just see if it's firm)? Is there oil coming from around the oil filter at all?

To give you a background on how this works...like I said, the oil lamp indicator normally comes on if oil pressure is low. Oil is usually drawn from the sump via an intake pipe straight to the oil pump (often set into the block and driven by the crankshaft or some such). Oil proceeds from the pump, through the oil filter, past the sender unit (makes your little oil lamp go), and then throughout the rest of the block (through various channels). The oil passes a pressure relief valve, which releases some oil back into the sump if, say, revs are high. So you see, if the pump fails, or if the pressure relief valve fails, or if the oil filter has problems, or the sender unit is faulty - any of these (and lots of other things) can cause the oil lamp to come on. The fact that there is actually oil leaking from the engine (this doesn't have to happen when you get low oil pressure) might point to the sender unit as implied by XmFoRd...

I think that perhaps you should get a mech to look at it.
damienpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 15:24   #7 (permalink)

Is the motor turning over but not firing or not turning over at all?
Old 10-10-2002, 21:13   #8 (permalink)
As Sober as Steve Bracks

I had my mate come over (mechanic at Nissan) and he had a look at it, and we both noticed that the oil pressure switch on the side of the block had a sh1tload of oil around it, and it was running down the block and onto my olds garage floor (hehehe they love me now lol)

I have ordered a new switch from Ford, 8.70 inc GST (we know people who know people, trade price apparently) so it should be ok.. will let you all know once the swithc has been replaced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech