Ford Forums banner

Oil In My AU Falcon Classic

26K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  TopGhia 
#1 ·
Hi guys i was looking back on threads to do with oil and im just about to do my first oil change on the AU. Now the book specifies 5 w 30 im sure but i brought some synthetic 10 w 40. Whats the outcome if i put this in the motor more or less wear etc. I would like anyones comments on the oil that they put in there AU and problems with certain oils.

Thanks guys

Steve B

#4 ·
Top Ghia, its strange that the AU II and Au III changed to 10w - 30 i think. But i dont think there was mechanical changes between the models i mean im sure the engines are the same.

Steve B

#5 ·
I use Valvoline Lo-vis 10w30 about $21.00 for 5lts car has done 430,000ks now.If you use this I think you will be happy

#8 ·
Dazza you crack me up mate. I have Grill going in and BMC Filter cant ****ing wait :).
Thanks guys i will wack the 10 w 40 in with new filter.
Your never going to let the old Boar thing down even ifl i get her lowered. I can handle it hhaha

Steve B

#9 ·
Steve,

I didn't see your second post on it being duel fuel. You really should use a special LPG formulated oil, I use Penrite HPR gas, I think it is 20w-60, you need the higher hot viscosity because LPG motors generally run hotter.

If you want something lighter, Castrol Gas Oil is 15W-40, I use that in winter.

Also run about 20L petrol a month to keep your injectors and valves schmicko.

cheers

#11 ·
I wouldn't use a LPG oil if you gave it to me and if you run thick oil in an AU save for a new motor that's just my opinion

#12 ·
Ford have done long term tests with different viscosities & found not much wear in the engines regardless of viscosity.
...Shame holdens cant say the same about the GEN III's

funny enough, most ford 6's seem to live upto at least 1/2 a million k's and not use much oil, provided they are driven in an 'ordinary' fashion.
Its not uncommon to see the old 250 crossflows lasting upto 800 - 900 000 kms

Compare that to the rattly GM V6, or a smokey red or blue, those things would be battling to see 250,000 kms.

9psi EB

#13 ·
funny enough, most ford 6's seem to live upto at least 1/2 a million k's and not use much oil, provided they are driven in an 'ordinary' fashion.

What do you class as ordinary?My AU is up to 430,000ks,does not use oil,slight oil leak from the front seal and still pulls 5,600rpm on gas

#15 ·
On one of my taxis' (about 600 000 Km, early 99 AU) it has developed bottom end noise. Most of the people that I have spoken to suggest that the oil I used was too thin ( 15w-50 ).

i was thinking that maybe I should move it up to 20w 50 or would it be better to go for somthing higher? And no I don't want to rebuild the motor or replace the motor, it's only a taxi and I feel sorry for the poor bugger who is gonna buy it. Although it won't be the first car I've sold with bottem end noise (crank moved :) )

Alex

#17 ·
I have an AU XR6, and use Valvoline 10w-30.

My car is on gas however, and I never considered that this would make any difference. I am very interested...

#18 ·
maco65 said:
On one of my taxis' (about 600 000 Km, early 99 AU) it has developed bottom end noise. Most of the people that I have spoken to suggest that the oil I used was too thin ( 15w-50 ).
I think the requirements for taxis may be different to normal engines. Taxi's spend a large portion of their life running, so there is less requirement for oils that provide startup protection.

#19 ·
TopGhia said:
Could you elaborate a bit more on what's wrong with LPG oil?

cheers
There is proberly nothing wrong with it per say.I just find there is a lot of bullshit concerning LPG when in fact LPG is better than petrol and the car makers spend heaps on developing motors and most of the time their recommendation concerning oil is right and if the so-called LPG oils were needed why don't the Ford dealers use them,simple answer not required and just sales hype.There are a number of articles writen about the dangers of running a thick oil in a motor made for a Lo-viscosity oil,I can't remember all the details but its better to err on the side of caution.

#20 ·
I think I will stick with the LPG oil, horses for courses I suppose.

That LPG oil has a "low ash" formula (whatever that means) and extra additives to neutralise combustion by-products from the gas (whatever they are).

I'll have to take their word for it. Castrol Gas oil is only $20 for 5 litres, so it's not too expensive.

cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.