Oil pressure sender units - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2002, 20:56   #1 (permalink)

Oil pressure sender units

Yet another question to do with these bloody sender units guys!

If I had the original EB oil pressure sender unit hooked up to an XB GT oil pressure gauge, would it read properly?

The reason I ask is: are there two different types of oil pressure senders? One that sends a signal to say, a light, that comes on when there is no pressure and off when there is pressure (like the factory warning light). The second type will actually send a signal to a gauge that will read how much pressure is there. Is this correct or does one pressure sender do both jobs, depending on if you have a light or a gauge?

Reason is my XB GT gauge doesnt read anything when I hook up the factory wire to the EB pressure sender unit on the block. Could it mean that the sender is faulty? Could the gauge be faulty? So can I check if the gauge works by shorting the wire to the chassis or something?

Finally, does anyone know if an XC pressure sender unit will screw into the EB pressure sender unit hole? Should I try and see? (it would save me buying a new one)

Cheers

Simon
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2002, 23:57   #2 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

yes, yes, not 100% sure but i think yes.
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 00:36   #3 (permalink)

Cheers Jase, I will have a look at it tomorrow and see what happens.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:05   #4 (permalink)

light and gauge senders are different.
not sure about fit between eb/xc
61sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 02:30   #5 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

The presure sender is about 50mm dia.
The idiot light [correctly named] is small almost same size as temp sender unit.. in general..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 04:46   #6 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

As others have said, there is 2 different types, the idiot light is as xbxr8 said, about the size of the temp sender, the gauge sender is generally a small cannister, much larger than the other.

Shorting to ground should fire the gauge up, if you hook it to the switch type sender, it would assume that when ignition lights are on, the gauge would swing to full and when oil pressure is detected, it would go back to nothing.

Grab a gauge type sender from a E series S Pack/XR or Fairmont up. Only thing may be different operating ranges of gauge vs sender.

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 07:27   #7 (permalink)

Re: Oil pressure sender units

I am searching all over for this oil pressure sender to be replaced but would really appreciate if anyone could please send or post a photo of what it looks like and possibly where its located in a Falcon EA 90. Many thanks.

Men are better navigators than women however we men hesitate to ask for directions when lost.
falcon4250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 06:59   #8 (permalink)

Wink Re: Oil pressure sender units

Found it!!!! the damn thing is located right inside on the engine body a few inches above the oil filter. tucked behind all the wires, pipes & hoses. it is so difficult to get to. now i'm in the process of replacing the oil pressure switch (aftermarket version) $8.95 which i got from SuperCheapAuto instead of Autobahn who quoted me $60.00. big difference there... thanks this forum really helps alot... much appreciated.

Men are better navigators than women however we men hesitate to ask for directions when lost.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:27   #9 (permalink)

sorry my bad... i needed a oil pressure sender and not a switch!!! These items are different, a switch can only give readings of high & low where as a sender can give gauge reading variables suited for S pack cluster oil gauges. That means forking out $60 which is still a good buy for an oil pressure sender.

Old 05-07-2005, 03:21   #10 (permalink)

Picked up an oil pressure sender at my local Pick'n'PayLess for $10. All is OK now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech