Ford Forums banner

oil pressure and stalling

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ONE39L 
#1 ·
i took my ea to work today (its first day of commuting i bought it yesterday) and whats really annoying me is the oil light keeps comming on at idle now im an apprentice mechanic so im gathering oil pressure switch has had it or the oil pump is on its way out (and yes the sump is full of oil) havent had time to connect a pressure tester to it to be sure any suggestions?
also it constantly stalls and splutters when at idle when its cold is this common and is there a way to fix it?

#2 ·
hey mate.

what rpm is the egnine doing when the light is on? if its only just ticking over then it might just be lack of revs causeing the light to come on.

could be a switch, could be that you oil pump is stuffed, or a bearing in your crankcase is stuffed and the excess clearance is letting the pressure out...kidding mate these last 2 are very very unlikely to be the problem.

is it a center fire injected ea or a multipoint one?

i dont know how to reset the base idle on ea's, so i cant help there, but if anyone cen tell you how to reset the base idle then i suggest thats what you do first - 99% of the time thats why these cars stall at idle.

i know money scarce when you are an apprentice - trust me, i have been there mate, and there still isnt enough floating around to satesfy, but anyway, i think you should replace all the filters you can anyway - change oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, leads, rotor button, dizzy cap etc, and check the base timing - its supposed to be 10 degrees in diagnostic mode but i reckon you will get away with 12 while still running normal unleaded.

after all that she should run very sweetly.

#3 ·
well its a centerfire setup for the time being and yeah the light only comes on when it idles but like i said when its cold for the first 10 minutes it keeps konking out one of the mechanics told me to put a couple of cups of kero in the motor let it run for a bit then drain the oil but ill take your advice and change all the perishables and do the base timing hopefully thatll fix that problem so i can go onto the next problem..........greeeeat! hehe!

#4 ·
As above and check all hoses manifolds for vacuum leaks.Then inlet temp senser and map... hth..Ohh spark leads and cap, plugs too if not relatively new...

#5 ·
well i flushed the motor and filled it right up to the level checked all the hoses cant tell what revs its doin but by ear id say 800 its a manual if i didnt already mention it still the light comes on but it stays on somtimes throughout the rev range please be the sensor lol! didnt have time for and oil pressure test too much stuffing about with the gearbox oil plug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.