Oils Really Ain't Oils - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2002, 21:40   #1 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Oils Really Ain't Oils

Was at super cheap auto's yesterday looking at oil for the XR6. I was after some Synthetic w30 oil. Geez you should of seen the prices of the Castrol stuff it makes Mobil 1 suddenly look normal.

Just wondering has anyone used these Castrol stuff. IF so was it any good.

Castrol Softech Oil 5w - 30 $50.00
Castrol Synth R 10w-60
Castrol SLX 0w-30 - $85.00

I think i'm planning to use the Castrol Softech oil it's still a synthetic oil.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2002, 21:49   #2 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

Just to let you know the Softech gets real thin at temp, I tried it and the oil pressure got real low, much lower than M1 after same drive (almost into the red zone...)
Old 05-07-2002, 22:16   #3 (permalink)
Dreamer

id personally stick with a 15-40 oil, 30 is a bit overkill on an XR6 in my opinion. and 0 well thats far to low. i tried a 10w on my I6 and everything ticks and rattles for about 5sec until it runs thru properly, stick with 15-40 and you'll never go wrong
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 22:27   #4 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

Gaz, Sinclair Ford use Caltex. Not sure on the exact type of oil though, so if you're getting scheduled services there (or did you get stiffed on those as well?) then that's what they'll put in.

At 16K, your car has already had a service at 15000 - or should have. You won't need new oil yet.
Old 05-07-2002, 22:41   #5 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally posted by Venom XR
Gaz, Sinclair Ford use Caltex. Not sure on the exact type of oil though, so if you're getting scheduled services there (or did you get stiffed on those as well?) then that's what they'll put in.

At 16K, your car has already had a service at 15000 - or should have. You won't need new oil yet.
Yeah i got the free service etc until 60k since my car. I want to chang the oil mainly on a precautionary measure.
Sounds like the Caltex stuff is that Havoline oil.

Jesmol,
For AU's Ford specifally specify 5w-30 oil "says on the oil cap. The pistons and tolerances are different to the E-Series engines, thus using w40 or w50 oil will be too high viscosity and may lead to oil seal problems etc.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 23:21   #6 (permalink)
XD's rule

slighlty off topic... what would you guys reccomend putting in a XD falcon running on LPG (iron head 250 X - flow)

I originally used some shell oil that said it was good for older cars... but a mechanic m8 told me its a lower grade and not to use it again?

I head about some shell oil specificially for LPG cars, any good?
xced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 23:29   #7 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

Quote:
Originally posted by xced
slighlty off topic... what would you guys reccomend putting in a XD falcon running on LPG (iron head 250 X - flow)

I originally used some shell oil that said it was good for older cars... but a mechanic m8 told me its a lower grade and not to use it again?

penrite gas or if it uses some oil go for penrite hpr50
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 23:56   #8 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

Quote:
Originally posted by EF_Falcon_GuY

Yeah i got the free service etc until 60k since my car. I want to chang the oil mainly on a precautionary measure.
Sounds like the Caltex stuff is that Havoline oil.

Jesmol,
For AU's Ford specifally specify 5w-30 oil "says on the oil cap. The pistons and tolerances are different to the E-Series engines, thus using w40 or w50 oil will be too high viscosity and may lead to oil seal problems etc.
/me looks away sheepishly....

Sorry thought you were talking about your EF.. I'll read the thread next time.

I have a feeling the oil Ford use is Mobil (OE oil, but I haven't seen it on the shelfs, I think they call it GF2 or sumthink)
Old 05-08-2002, 00:08   #9 (permalink)
351 - What a magic number

If it's all the same I'll give that synthetic a miss...
Even when I get my new XR...

Ed :)

HSV - I just don't want one....EVER!

My XF 3 on the tree ute is ALWAYS stuck in third......
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 00:09   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by xced

I have been using BP Corse Plus in my 351 running on straight gas (in an F100 retired Ambulance) for over 6 years. This motor works really hard a lot of the time and I have never had a problem with this oil in over 200,000km.

I have recently started using it in the rally car (EF/EL XR6), whose engine is fairly stock and also works hard most of the time. I have tried Mobil 1 (too thin), Shell Helix, (too thin), Penrite 50 (too thick - wore out the oil pump drive gear!), and a few others. I am happiest with the Corse Plus in terms of oil pressure across a range of temperatures.

cheersbigears....
rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech