Ok, I need to know what to do! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2002, 02:42   #1 (permalink)
Shaken Not Stirred

confused Ok, I need to know what to do!

I have excessive fuel consumption in my 88 EA Falcon S Pac, 3 spd auto.
I have searched the forums, found several topics on high fuel consumption, but none very specific.
I would like to know what are the main, most obvious causes of high fuel consumption with the EA, that I can check for myself without taking it to a garage. I am getting about ----100km/15 litres----, could even be nearer 16, at the most!! And thats on Caltex Vortex Gold. Its mainly town driving, but I have been using as light a foot as possible recently, trying to squeeze out as much as I can.
I found my oxy sensor was buggered, I replaced that. New dizzy cap, checked the leads, they are fine. Fairly new spark plugs, all cleaned and gapped. Air filter is clean. Car temp runs in the first "N" and sometimes "O" of NORMAL. Checked diagnostic mode, no error codes came up. Tyre pressures are fine. Temp sensor checks out fine.
What else could be causing my EA to suck so much juice?? Its costing me a bomb to keep her running!
Any suggestions gladly welcome!

Thanks!
the_scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2002, 02:51   #2 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

Have you tried Fuel filter or maybe resetting the computer?
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 02:55   #3 (permalink)
Shaken Not Stirred

Thanks for the reply blueoval.
How would a buggered fuel filter cause high fuel consumption? Im not being a smart arse or anything, I'm just curious. I'll welcome any suggestions. The fuel filter is an aluminium thing, I cant see in it to see what condition is in.
Also, I have never reset the computer, how do I do that? I dont recall seeing it in the gregorys?

Thanks
Old 12-02-2002, 02:58   #4 (permalink)

Try replacing the oxygen sensor.
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 02:59   #5 (permalink)
Shaken Not Stirred

In my first post I said that I had found my oxy sensor was buggered, and I replaced it. Made no real difference at all.
Old 12-02-2002, 03:11   #6 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

I had a problem with my fuel filter on my EB 5ltr recently and beleive me, when those things go, everything else including fuel consumption goes down the tube!!!
You only need a tiny bit of grit in your fuel to foul up your pump. Be mindful of which fuel your regularly using. I've found some fuel from independant service stations to be cheap but occasionally nasty on your car, because they buy cheap, cheap crappy fuel from taiwan.
No name's mentioned but they're supposedly 'the fresh food people'!
Use premium as often as you can from leading fuel retailers.

To reset your computer, Disconect the battery for 20 mins.
Then after, reconnect it.
Start the car WITHOUT using any throttle.
Let it idle for a couple of minutes.(this lets the CPU to determine the fuel values at idle)
Next, take it for a VERY slow cruise around your area not exceding 80km's. Drive for 10km's very sedately like a grandma would. ( This will let the CPU determine the fuel values at cruising speeds ultimately using minimal fuel at cruising speeds)
After this, take it home let it sit for a while.
You've now reset the fuel values on your computer to accept your driving style!!! DONE
(Remember, the fords CPU is learning computer, it will learn your driving style and technique and adapt fuel mixtures to suit)

Try this and see.

Hope this helps
Regards
blueoval
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 03:29   #7 (permalink)
formerly sikEA

I get similiar consumption and its cos my cat converter is stuffed. Fuel filter also helped, replaced that it its a little better.

...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
And Yagz, come back in six months faggot
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 12:32   #8 (permalink)
Shaken Not Stirred

Thanks for that! I'll get a new filter and reset the computer on Thursday, I'm workig Tuesday and Wednesday :(
And I'll post back results. SO leaving the battery diconnected for 20 minutes will reset the computer yep?

Thanks again!
Old 12-02-2002, 21:18   #9 (permalink)

I changed my fuel filter around 22,000k's ago. Do you reckon it's worth changing it again?

I get around 500k's a tank. The only thing is, the majority of those K's are done on the freeway..

I can't really think what kind of k's i'd get doing all city driving, but I'd say around 400k's?

I've got a 3speed, CFI with a catback sports exhaust. It doesn't leak any oil or coolant, and it doesn't run hot.

I accelerate quite fast, but I hardly ever floor it totally and do around 120-130k's on the freeway/country roads..

I wouldn't say that getting 410k's per tank is that bad compared with other CFI 3speed owners.. It also depends greatly on what kind of driving you do..

Dave
antigravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 21:50   #10 (permalink)

I would of thought that 15L/100km would be acceptable. Unless thats highway driving.

My EL gets about 13-14L/100km around town(450-500km/tank). And i'm bit of a "spirited" driver. The motor is a little bit more advanced than the CFI(is it CFI??) and its also a 4spd.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech