Which one's right? The speedo or the trip comp? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2002, 01:32   #1 (permalink)
ED Fairmont Member

Which one's right? The speedo or the trip comp?

Hi everyone, Ive had my ED Fairmont for a couple of weeks, and after using the cruise control a fair bit, Ive seen that the speed the trip computer displays is apprx 4 kms slower than what the speedo shows. Is the speedo overstating, is the trip computer understating, or are both out of whack and only show approximate speeds?
Anyone got any ideas/advice?
Kerazy S-Pak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2002, 03:24   #2 (permalink)
No longer around

i have been told that hte ave speed is just that it picks up how many kms you have traveled, and works out how much time it took to do it and gives the average so if ya slowed down a tad for that slow ricer till ya could pass then it buggeres up the average see wat i mean here

the trippo is just an average-meter

i hardly go by it n e mores
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 22:56   #3 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Quote:
Originally posted by MADNC_8
i have been told that hte ave speed is just that it picks up how many kms you have traveled, and works out how much time it took to do it and gives the average so if ya slowed down a tad for that slow ricer till ya could pass then it buggeres up the average see wat i mean here

the trippo is just an average-meter

i hardly go by it n e mores
Off topic, please watch your spelling mate... re-reading a reply before posting and making any corrections makes it much easier to read. Thanks matey.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 23:01   #4 (permalink)
Death to Camry's!

The only function in which I use my trip computer for is to find out my average litres per 100kms and how many kilometers are left in the tank, it tends to be fairly wild with alot of its measurements. Just remember that the displays on the dashboard take precedent over the trip computer, it is just there as a guide
MightyEFGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 22:47   #5 (permalink)
EB wagon

They should be pretty much both spot on when u hit the reset button on yer T/C. If one was to be 'out' it would probably be yer needle on yer dash... I have the digital dash and mine are both pretty much spot on with eachother...

Brent
EB1 3.9L MPI Falcon Wagon with converted T5 / Pacemaker & 2.5" Redback sports exhaust / 2" lowered blocks at the rear, Kings lows up front / ED Tickford Head and Cam / K&N panel filter with XH intake Snorkel / Full EL Fairmont interior with woodgrain

89 EA1 3.9L TBI Falcon Sedan with 3 speed auto / currently being upgraded...
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 14:04   #6 (permalink)
ED Fairmont Member

Thanx for the replies guys.
If thats the case Brent79, then my old school speedometer is overstating by about 4kms (not a bad thing, i should avoid speeding fines that way) Is there any reason why the digi speedo on the trip comp (or digi dash in the EA ghias) would be more accurate?
Also the speedometer on my trip comp doesnt run constantly, after i hit reset it takes a couple of seconds to decide what speed im doing, then sits on it regardless of me accel/deccel, is this meant to happen?
Kerazy S-Pak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 20:33   #7 (permalink)
EB wagon

Well the digital dash and T/C are fully electronic intruments... they use the pulse from the speedo sensor in the gearbox to figure oout the speed so id assume there would be less of an error margin in them compared with the mechanical aspect of the needle type. The needle type uses a magnetic field to move the needle which would make it slightly less effective. Thats what i reckon anyhow :) Hmmm my T/C will display instantly what speed im going when i hit the reset then will start to average from there...

Brent
EB1 3.9L MPI Falcon Wagon with converted T5 / Pacemaker & 2.5" Redback sports exhaust / 2" lowered blocks at the rear, Kings lows up front / ED Tickford Head and Cam / K&N panel filter with XH intake Snorkel / Full EL Fairmont interior with woodgrain

89 EA1 3.9L TBI Falcon Sedan with 3 speed auto / currently being upgraded...
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech