The Oooooooold 4 for 1 AAA Plus Trick! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 14:48   #1 (permalink)

The Oooooooold 4 for 1 AAA Plus Trick!

Hey guys,

So normally I post in here with regards to my nightmares courtesy of 1986 Ford E350 (351W). Just check my other threads (only 2) if you're curious about the hell.
So on the last tour, about 325 miles from home, the threaded rod that holds the air cleaner to the carb backed itself out and fell into the carb at WOT, got into a cylinder, and ruined a good portion of my engine. I pulled the damn thing out of the sparkplug hole with a magnet I broke and taped onto the end of a clothes hanger. Pulled the rod out in 3 pieces.

I came across a friend who's boss offered me an identical engine, and I could just strip my old engine for the parts that this new Windsor needs! Very excited about that, but now I need to get the damn thing back!

Anyway, I have AAA Plus and I am going to go up there (Dryden, NY; by Ithica) and call them to come tow it with me (back to Long Island)...I have four 100 mile tows that cannot be combined. I once had a friend say that he did a 100 mile tow, got dropped off, called and opened a new case, towed again another 100 miles, etc...anybody ever do anything like this? I just don't want to screw myself so far from home. but I will sleep in the thing until midnight if need be! Start a new case the next day...by now you know that I MUST have this thing back.

I am quite broke right now, and having this van back in working order could really help me! Any advice would be great!

Thanks gang!
JamesD0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 16:16   #2 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Re: The Oooooooold 4 for 1 AAA Plus Trick!

Wow you have had your share of bad luck. The threaded rod falling into the carb at WOT isnt a good thing at all and im surprised as the wing nut that would have secured the rod on the outside of the aircleaner should have kept the rod from falling in and simply the aircleaner should have just fallen off.
I cant help with any advice on the towing but what you are suggesting sounds like a plan. It must be good luck from here on surely lol. I hope the band tour was good otherwise.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:43   #3 (permalink)

haha
Thanks for the sympathy dude! haha. yeah pretty epic stuff. I know man, I have no idea how the wing nut came off too! ...sabatoge...
So I will be trying this starting early next week...I'll be sure to let ya know what happens! geez this is gonna be crazy.
Any more advice from anyone is very welcome, also!

Blastin'
James
Old 12-19-2011, 10:16   #4 (permalink)

So here's the conclusion, if anybody cares.
It worked.
It was very trying, but it worked.
Got towed from Dryden, NY about 90 miles to Hancock, NY. Then I called AAA and said that for whatever reason, they wouldn't work on my car because it has a "cracked cylinder or something - i really don't know anything about this stuff" you know, just to sell it a little. So from there they towed me to Monroe, NY. This is where it got iffy. They caught on and told me that only one tow per breakdown is allowed. So I slept in my van and called the next morning when a different shift of workers were there, and thank God it worked, because I froze my can off the night before! So from Monroe I made it to Ronkonkoma, and from there I was able to be towed home. 4 tows in 2 days for the price of my membership. Remember, only do this IF YOU COMPLETELY HAVE TO! but it worked for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech