Opinions PULP (again) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2003, 01:51   #1 (permalink)
rev

Opinions PULP (again)

Hi
Any opinions would be welcome. I will try and make a long story short. Changed plugs (which were rooted) and went to Mobil Synergy 8000 on the same day 3 weeks back. Next morning a intermitent misfire at idle which goes when warmed. Changed leads ( which looked old), ran fine until next cold start. Decided it may be the Synergy after reading all the past PULP threads. Went to ULP and the problem seems better but there is half a tank of Synergy in the car. My mechanic told me he and his partner both have identical Lasers, his loves PULP and he advanced the timing 2 degrees yet his partners runs rough on PULP, go figure.

Thanks for reading this far..my question is, do I try a diff fuel say BP Ultimate or just stick to normal Mobil ULP? The car really pulls hard and its just this one frustrating issue I have. Thanks

Last edited by rev; 08-16-2003 at 01:54.
rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2003, 04:31   #2 (permalink)

Re: Opinions PULP (again)

definately try different brands, go some optimax or ultimate if yours dont like synergy, they are both 98 ron, vortec and most others are 95 ron and regular is 91 or 92 ron.
17" ROH Shadow Chrome RT's, K&N Air Filter, LSD Conversion w/ 3.7 Gears.
Proudest Addition: Socks the Brindle Staffy Girl.
Proud TQE Operator
6pAc|30nG|00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 11:36   #3 (permalink)

Using a PULP in an engine that was designed to run on ULP has absolutely no benefit, save ya money.
Old 08-16-2003, 14:02   #4 (permalink)

Read the facts:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

Note that American octane ratings are derived from the formula (RON+MON)/2, which gives a lower reading than RON, as used in Australia. So 87 American is about 91 Aus.

cheers

Last edited by TopGhia; 08-16-2003 at 14:17.
TopGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 21:32   #5 (permalink)
rev

Thanks for the replies. While cleaning the engine bay earlier, I noticed a tube at the back ot the rocker cover, pointing straight upward, passenger side. I then saw a rubber hose without a home and attached the rubber hose to the tube. The hose runs from the tube to under the air intake (3.9 CPI). The idle is smooth as hell but the motor was not dead cold. Could this have been the source of my rough idle at cold? Iam not sure what this hose does. The PCV setup looked good and no leaks.
Old 08-17-2003, 05:18   #6 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

i have been using PULP for 2 months now i tried BP Ultimate, Mobil Synergy 8000, Shell Optimax i dont like Synergy 8000 i get better response from optimax and ultimate...

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 00:21   #7 (permalink)
2000 AUII Fairmont

It may have been the cause of the problem. Other possibility is you might need to have the engine tuned for PULP. Old car I used to have ran like crap on PULP, even though it was pre 86. Problem is it had been tuned for regular unleaded. Found out after I got rid of it that the timing should have been changed. Crazy thing is I suggested that to my local mechanic when I tried PULP in the old car, and he said it shouldn't make any difference. From my limited mechanical knowledge it made sense to change the timing if you changed fuel.
Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 00:36   #8 (permalink)
rev

Well, it seems to just love BP Ultimate. Purrs like a kitten now. Maybe the flavour of fuel cars like depends on the day of the week they are made :)
Old 08-18-2003, 19:06   #9 (permalink)
2000 AUII Fairmont

Interesting, I'll have to try BP next. Since going to PULP because of computer mods about 2 weeks ago, I've only used Synergy out of the 98 fuels. In my local town, only one place has PULP and that is 95 RON. Nearest place I can get 98 is over 40km away, so it's not worth making a special trip to get it.
Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech