Optimax The Best PULP - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2001, 18:12   #1 (permalink)

Optimax The Best PULP

Firstly I do not work for Shell.
Secondly I notice a lot of topics here centre around fuel consumption.
I have tried a few brands of PULP in my AU XR8.
Here are the results:

Mobil Synergy 8000 got me about 430 km on a full 68 litre tank.

Caltex Vortex got me about 400 km on a full 68 litre tank.

Regular Unleaded got me about 360 on a full 68 litre tank.

But the best was............

Shell Optimax which got me just over 450 km on a full tank.

All of these tests were done with regular city driving. So if you are looking for a PULP for your Ford, Optimax is the go. It's worth the few extra $$$$$$$$$$$

BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2001, 18:26   #2 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

Alrighty...... Im not sure bout this optimax? stuff honestly cant say ive seen it here in WA mind you havent looked for it, But is there anyone using BP's new product "ULTIMATE.98" i found after adv the timing she really gets up & BARKS!!
Highway driving im getting 480k's to a tank but sity driving,*mind u lead foot here* a poor 330-350k's
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 18:49   #3 (permalink)
BSR Field Agent

Well following the run to Bathurst on Sunday I can safely say Optimax has the better fuel economy over Synergy 8000. Both XLR8 and I filled up with Synergy 8000 in Newcastle for the trip down. I have an ED 6 (Modified Engine) and XLR8 has a AU XR8 we had both used half a tank of fuel not long after leaving Penrith for the trip up the mountains. (Mind you we were not taking it easy). We filled up with Optimax and proceeded on the trip raced around Bathurst and ticked up around 300 km's before needing to put 28 litres in the tank... And it was no "Sunday Drive"...

Nipper...
Nipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 22:28   #4 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

Hi,

I filled up with BP Ultimate when I was down in Canberra for the GMC400... I got 511km with 60.48L (11.83L/100km)

I filled up with Mobil Synergy 8000 just before going to Bathurst on Sunday and ended up getting 499km with 62.84L (12.59L/100km)
(although I must admit - I was driving a little harder on sunday and ended up getting stuck in traffic doing 10km/h on the way home)

I dont use Optimax anymore as my car pings its nuts off when I use it, and I also get a 6kw at the rear wheels decrease when running optimax (130kw with Synergy, 124kw with Optimax - proven at the dyno day)

:-)
Kelli S
XR8chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 18:35   #5 (permalink)
Tickford Owners Club NSW

Kelli

Your car pings it's nuts off on Optimax????

I thought it had BALLS!

Salada

Jimbaddy

PS: how did you do at the drags?
jimbaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 20:51   #6 (permalink)
Australian Member

Oh Great Kelli,
Now im confused to what I'd like to get my car tuned for. optimax or Syngery8000???
hmm will have to wait and see. I guess I'd have to get the car dynoed for both fuels and then decided on which is better

Will
Black S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 14:15   #7 (permalink)
ianTE50

Hi all,
I have only ever used optimax but after reading kelli's stuff from the dyno day I tried the synergy. I travel up & down bulli pass every day& have never had a problem with the optimax but with the synergy the car pings its guts out over 4000rpm
Any Idea's???

IAN
Old 06-21-2001, 16:19   #8 (permalink)
tickford_xr8

Hey guys....
Well i have to say. Due to having to drive to canberra every fortnight. I usually lash out and fill with optimax. On an average run to canberra with little hick-ups with the traffic, i can average about 230k's to a 1/4 of a tank and some times better ( 260 tops).
And for the fun stuff on a cold night out at Wetherill Park in the early hours with most of sydneys rev head population. A stock EFXR8 manual, runs a nice 1/4 with optimax and a bottle or two of nulon octane booster. I had fun with a holden out there one night. By the end of the night i no longer had a set of pirelli p6000 on the back.
So i highly recomend the optimax.
3 thumbs up shell......
From Matt.
Blue EFXR8 with grey strips. Everyone out on the bathurst run should know the car by now!!
Old 06-21-2001, 17:43   #9 (permalink)
Tickford Owners Club NSW

Yes Matt,

that would be the one that lit up the rear tyres in the main street of Bathurst.
Old 06-21-2001, 17:52   #10 (permalink)
Tickford Owners Club NSW

To Ian TE-50,

Your engine shouldn't ping regardless of what fuel you put in it. Even if you filled it up with normal unleaded, the knock sensor should (if it's working) tell the computer to retard the timing to the point where it doesn't ping anymore. My TE-50 will only give a single ping on an upchange when hammering hard uphill, (on synergy). How many K's has yours done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech