Ouch, new rotors and pads! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2002, 00:37   #1 (permalink)
Can't get enough of it!

Ouch, new rotors and pads!

Hi all,

Just had my XR6 in for a 30k service this morning. Mentioned a scraping noise to the guys and they called me a while ago with some good news and some bad news:

The good news - They'd found the cause

The bad news - Could I authorise the $930 bill for new pads (worn down to the indicators) and new discs as they'd worn below the legal width (that's what I think they said).

Bloody 'ell! I'm saving for my Hong Kong holiday, for gods sake!

Not happy, Jan.

I've done some research on the board and it appears that this is a fact of life with the Premium brake kit.

Oh well. There goes the $1000 I paid off the CC after my US trip last week :(

Simon....
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2002, 01:19   #2 (permalink)

far out... that would have to hurt the pocket...

Not only do you have to have alot of money to buy these beasts, but you need to be RICH to keep em going.
Old 10-21-2002, 04:41   #3 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

After only 30K I would not be impressed at all and would be on the magangers doorstep bigtime looking for some sort of pro rata warranty job at the least.

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 04:50   #4 (permalink)
Can't get enough of it!

Quote:
Originally posted by Kieron
After only 30K I would not be impressed at all and would be on the magangers doorstep bigtime looking for some sort of pro rata warranty job at the least
Yes, but the consensus on the board here seems to be that it's not unusual. There's no point in making a fuss if it's just a fact of life.

The dealer assures me that the pads and discs were supplied at 'trade' ($144 and $587 respectively), so I guess I have to believe them.

At least I knew how much replacement tires were going to cost me :)

Simon....
Old 10-21-2002, 04:58   #5 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Simon,

Now you've got me paranoid, my car has done 27k on the clock so i'm not faroff from you. Me considers checking pad wear soon.

So far the brakes are going great guns, touch's wood.

Are the disc's and pads for all 4 wheels? I would assume that the back ones are fine.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 05:38   #6 (permalink)
Australian Member

Yeah thats what i've been told.
With the autos you tend to replace rotors and pads every 20-30K.

I had my breaks changed at 30K with the rotors just about illegal. so they didn;t machine them for me.
I will have to get them replace next brake pad change.
Black S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 05:47   #7 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

What constitutes as warranty? Only engines, gearboxes, diffs ect? After 30 grand, your story seems a bit strange. Unless you gove the car a good rally everyweek and slam on the brakes till they fade, which I highly doubt.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 05:48   #8 (permalink)
Can't get enough of it!

Quote:
Originally posted by XR_Strider_GuY
Now you've got me paranoid, my car has done 27k on the clock so i'm not faroff from you. Me considers checking pad wear soon.

So far the brakes are going great guns, touch's wood.

Are the disc's and pads for all 4 wheels? I would assume that the back ones are fine.
The prices I quoted were for fronts only!

I hadn't noticed any degredation of the braking effectiveness at all, it was only the 'scraping' noise when reversing out of the carport while straightning up when getting home that alerted me to the fact that something wasn't quite right.

I am about 200k's over the 30,000 service, so yes, if you have the premium kit, I'd suggest you get it looked at :)

Regards,

Simon....
Old 10-21-2002, 05:52   #9 (permalink)
Can't get enough of it!

Quote:
Originally posted by Cobra
What constitutes as warranty? Only engines, gearboxes, diffs ect? After 30 grand, your story seems a bit strange. Unless you gove the car a good rally everyweek and slam on the brakes till they fade, which I highly doubt.
Warranty generally excludes fair wear and tear. I think you'd find that warranty on a car explicitly excludes things such as tyres, globes, discs, brake pads etc.

You're right, I drive my car pretty conservatively and have never experienced brake fade. I suspect I just have to grin and bear it.

A heads up for others with the same equipment, however!

Simon....
Old 10-21-2002, 05:57   #10 (permalink)
Can't get enough of it!

Quote:
Originally posted by Black S
Yeah thats what i've been told.
With the autos you tend to replace rotors and pads every 20-30K.
Yeah, except mine's a manual :)

Quote:
Originally posted by Black S
I had my breaks changed at 30K with the rotors just about illegal. so they didn;t machine them for me.
I will have to get them replace next brake pad change.
I was given the distinct impression I didn't have a choice as the discs were "below the legal minimum". Once I get the barrel off my back, I should sleep well tonight!

Simon ....
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech