over heating xe 351 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2002, 07:27   #1 (permalink)
351 windsor for the xr

over heating xe 351

i have a mild 351 in my xe the car now is a daily driver i have a new mild 351 in it.
i would like to know if i should fit a 3core or4 core in it with thermo fams or keep the flexi fan and run thermos any help appreciated.
TUFESP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2002, 07:35   #2 (permalink)
ESP Man

TUFESP

I also run a mild 351 in my XD ESP. I have a 3 core with standard thermostat and standard clutch fan and normal driving never sees the temp gauge make it to half way.

On a recent track day at Oran Park with the vac secondaries open most of the time it only reached half way after 5 hard laps.

So I think a 4 core would be a waste of money.

Go the ESP's!
Old 07-22-2002, 14:38   #3 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member

Lightbulb

I also run a mild 351 on straight gas in my XE. I had heating probs originally, but now I run two thermo's on a 3 core and the gauge sits on about a 1/4.
Stereo by ///Alpine
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 15:30   #4 (permalink)
DVS06

overheating

a 3 row should be heaps. as long as it 50mm thick and not the 40mm thick version. the 40mm ones block up as the tubes r so small. the 50mm ones have 1/2 inch tubes which stops the flake from getting caught. have a brand new one with 5 years warranty 4 $330. yes i run a radiator shop.

4 row is 2 big. heat doesnt pass through them.

moss st radiators
Old 07-22-2002, 17:10   #5 (permalink)
ESP Man

TUFESP

Just a thought but are u sure its the radiator thats causing the overheating. Incorrect timing (retarded or not enough advance) will cause overheating. Maybe try a reverse flush or replace the water pump?

I run about 12 degrees advance timing with a stage 2 cam on Optimax and lead additive but it will still ping sometimes when you load it up as it runs approx 12 : 1 compression.
Old 07-23-2002, 01:10   #6 (permalink)
must stay under 0.25 ppd.

I have a standard XD V8 3 core in my ute.
Straight gas 460.
Factory belt driven fan and shroud.
160 thermostat

Usually no more than 1/4
Hot days sees it rise but driving gets it down again.
The only thing I have done wrong is put too large a pump pulley on it. I will change it when the weather warms again.
Water pump should run 1:1 to 1.5:1 on the motor unless its a race engine. Max pump speed about 7500rpm for extended periods (occasional blip OK).
Good site on cooling bearing in mind they make and sell pumps

http://www.stewartcomponents.com/
Old 07-23-2002, 02:39   #7 (permalink)

Whilst I'm not going to enter into an argument about front end styling between XD and XE (I own a XD ESP so I'm biased) but the overheating V8's were "styled" into XE. It turned out that when they designed the wrap down bonnet it became harder to keep the eights cool.

I personally would go for a 3 core and keep the clutch fan and shroud with an electric fan in front of the Air Conditioning condensor (if you're still running it)

another thought would be EF/EL shrouded electric fans wired up using the Davies Craig adjustable thermostat.

I tried the leccy fans on my ESP but eventually went back to the clutch fan/shroud setup.

Hope it helps

Paul B
XR6WGN
Old 07-23-2002, 02:41   #8 (permalink)

I agree with all the others, a 3 core is fine. I actually don't think a 4 core will fit with the standard fan etc.
creature3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 04:19   #9 (permalink)
No longer around

Quote:
Originally posted by xr6wgn
Whilst I'm not going to enter into an argument about front end styling between XD and XE (I own a XD ESP so I'm biased) but the overheating V8's were "styled" into XE. It turned out that when they designed the wrap down bonnet it became harder to keep the eights cool.

i agree entirely XF's were even worse than XE's

a mate of mine had a XD ute with 351/C10/9" with a stockXB V8 radiator(albiet rebuilt). he fitted a XF front to make it look a bit more modern, and he couldnt get the thing to keep cool. changed the front end treetment to FE LTD (nice big grille area) and she stayed on 1/4 temp all the time
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 04:21   #10 (permalink)

Yep, a 3 core is best and run the original clutch fan - if you fit an elec fan put it/them BETWEEN your a/c condensor and radiator for best efficiency - and wire it up so to be ON when your a/c is oN as well as having a manual switch so you can turn it on when you need to.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech