overheating - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2004, 16:59   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

overheating

grrrrr, the bloody car over heated this morning, badly.

She was fine last night coming home, driving to work this morning, temp warning light comes on, the needle is sitting in the red. Pull over pronto and have a look, all hoses seem fine, no leaks that I can see. Thermostat is open.

Limp it back to mum's work to get all the getting out of work phone calls done, I had to stop twice and let it cool down to get it about a kilometre. Absolutely PISSES out of the over flow.

I'm gonna let it cool down, go pick it up tonight and get it home, then start fixing this BS tomorrow. I reckon the radiator is blocked, any way I can check it myself with it still in the car? How much to get one recoed?

Tomorrow will be fun, out comes the radiator, get that fixed and hope it solves my problem!
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2004, 17:08   #2 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Re: overheating

Well you can get a basic idea on how blocked, just remove both hoses and run the hose through them.

My car was overheating turned out to be a very tiny hole on the tiny bleedback hose was letting pressure out of the system, the hose was so soft you could tear into pieces, replaced the hose, then my overflow tank cracked at the point right where the hose goes in. so I got a new tank from FORD around 130.

Jason

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 22:50   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Hmmmmm, this sucks, couldn't get the thing home, over heated again after about a km.

If it's not the radiator, what are my other options? Water pump, blockage or radiator cap?? It's not leaking any coolant, so the hoses are fine I spose. Both upper and lower radiator hoses are hot. Coolant level rises heaps in the over flow tank.

Damn car!
Old 02-26-2004, 03:01   #4 (permalink)
wants a manual!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho chicken
Hmmmmm, this sucks, couldn't get the thing home, over heated again after about a km.

If it's not the radiator, what are my other options? Water pump, blockage or radiator cap?? It's not leaking any coolant, so the hoses are fine I spose. Both upper and lower radiator hoses are hot. Coolant level rises heaps in the over flow tank.

Damn car!
it could be the water pump. the blades might have rusted badly which means there would be not enough circulation of water for it to keep cool. id fix it soon though or you could get yourself a seized motor. not to mention the block and head could warp. ive seen alot of cooked motors at work and some of them are quite funny to look at. things like bent rods, pistons that have grabbed in bores, melted pistons....
John_xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 03:04   #5 (permalink)
TurbolaserS

If the top and bottom hoses are hot it's not the radiator,have you checked the viscous hub fan??What bout blocked heater core?Although a bastard to remove,flush water through the heater hoses.Remove the radiator and have it flushed,if it hasn't been done ever,there is a chance there is 250,000km of bug build up.
turbolaser_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 04:03   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Not when it's only done 223000

But even if both radiator hoses were hot it could still be blocked right? Expanding water would just go into the top hose via the thermostat and bottom hose via the water pump right?

The radiator is coming out tomorrow, I finally got the car home. I'll rip the water pump out and check it too, any ways to tell a rooted one from a good one? I'll post pics up here if I'm in doubt.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:46   #7 (permalink)
TurbolaserS

if it was block how the water circulate from the top of the radiator to the bottom???
Good luck though and be sure to post whats happening
turbolaser_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 05:05   #8 (permalink)

I had the same problem, turned out to be a number of things.

I replaced the clutch fan with thermos, and put in a cooler thermostat. That improved things a fair bit. Then my radiator shit itself. So i got a new V8 one, and thats completely solved my problem. my car had only done 213,000 when this happened, so it wouldnt surprise me if yours could be the same.

If you are going to buy a new radiator, get the V8 one, its cheaper then the 6cyl one, and has more fins so its more efficient.

My temp gauge sits on the Bracket next to cold, or even colder. Even on a hot day, sitting in traffic, (with the air con on). with out the aircon, it goes up a little, and then the thermos kick in, and it cools rite down.

Rollin and I thought it may be the water pump, but its fine, even after the bashing we gave it to try and get the clutch fan off.

94 ED Futura
PROUD TQE OPERATOR
13.822 @ 99.67MPH - Willowbank 05/08/2006
OED666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 05:13   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

What's a new V8 radiator worth?
Old 02-26-2004, 21:26   #10 (permalink)
wants a manual!

id change the water pump anyway. there pretty cheap and is easier to do when the radiator is out.
John_xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech