Pacemaker PH4480-- Just Cant Decide - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2004, 00:21   #1 (permalink)
If Only I Had Lexus Power

Pacemaker PH4480-- Just Cant Decide

OK Guys

I know that the exhaust subject has been done to death, but for an auto equipped 4 lt tickford mill has anybody noticed the diffrence between the tuned length and normal paceys.

I hear that the tuned length are better for high rpm and normal for low end power

I am also sceptic to the 4480's because to me they dont look tuned length because there is some 10 cm diffrence between port 2 -3 if i remember correctly.

All i need is some dyno sheets or opinions from those who run an auto and have had both sets

I can source either set brand new for bugger all and just cant decide which to get
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 ---- W 16 Configuration, Quad Turbo 1001 HP, 1250Nm, 4 Wheel Drive
redGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2004, 01:40   #2 (permalink)

Re: Pacemaker PH4480-- Just Cant Decide

What mods have u done to your car and what are your plans?

For street performance go the 4480's

These dyno results put up on the web here http://www.profixauto.com.au/xr6_ute.htm

look pretty good to me
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 05:32   #3 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Yep, I'm in the same boat. I couldn't decide whether to go the 4480s or the 4499s. I even rang 2 different exhaust shops and guess what? They each chose a different one, but for the same reasons. Both said the one they chose gives better low down torque - go figure!

After looking around for a while, I will get the 4480s in the next few weeks or so, as they are the ones that give the low down torque benefit (supposedly). Price I got was $440 fitted.

redGhia - how cheap can you get them, and are you willing to get them at "your" price for FF members. I'm happy to pay freight to get them to ACT.

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)

Last edited by JC-XR8; 02-23-2004 at 05:36.
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 00:26   #4 (permalink)

The car is reasonably standard with only the tickford snorkel, and cat back exhaust etc., Down the track i would like to add a vortech blower but not for quite a while

I havent priced them up yet but when i do ill let you all know
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 ---- W 16 Configuration, Quad Turbo 1001 HP, 1250Nm, 4 Wheel Drive
Old 02-25-2004, 01:42   #5 (permalink)

Hmmm thats tricky. I can say for certain that the 4480's are better for a road car with stock ecu. With an aftermarket ecu and a cam or a blower you may be better off with 4499's. Bigger is better with a blower! But untill you get the blower? well its not worth it.
My AU went from 106rwkw peak to 116rwkw with 4480's and a 2.5" exhaust.
The nice part was low end was improved too with 2nd gear rwkw at 60kmh going from 59 to 68kw.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 05:11   #6 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

ok call me stupid but which number is for which set of extractors? im very bad at rembering numbers, and i have never seen a set with the number beside them anyway :S

are the 4480s the "new" "competition" pacemakers that look like a mangled bowl of spaghetti, and the 4499s are the same design that has been around for a while? 6>2>1 as opposed to the "competition" which are 6>3>1?

UNR8D just got a set of the competition ones for his fairlane, and it seems to have made a difference (though i havent actually been in the car, just driven beside him) i have the 'old' style JMM ones, and im not keen on forking out about $800 for a set of their new ones, but im not sure the normal JMM ones will be the best for my intended application (6000rpm with full aftermarket engine management and pretty damn big cam) i want ones that tear-ass in the top end - so what should i get?

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 05:31   #7 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Help! If Rollin is asking questions, we are all in trouble.

The only answers i can give are that the 4499s are the 6->2->1 and the 4480s are the others.

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 00:46   #8 (permalink)

thanks for everyones replys ,whats the deal with cats. I know what i would pick, but can other put their thoughts forward as well

The factory cat is 2.5 in inlet and 2.25 in outlet. i have a berklee bolt 2.5 in cat back system which gives the car a bit of a note -- When i do extractors should i put on a normal 2.5 in 2.5 out cat or a "High Flow 2.5 in cat. with the "High flow cat being about $60 more i think it is wank factor

I am also thinking of unbolting the 10x4 s/through dogleg muffler at the front of the system and replacing it with a flanged in straght section of pipe with a 8x4 14 in.long 2.5in diameter O\Center F.G.P. straight through design so i can can change between aggresive and quieter system as needed with it only being a 5 minute job to swap over

So it seems that the 4480s (tuned length) will do the job quite well for what im after
Old 02-26-2004, 02:26   #9 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

a 'normal' cat should be sufficient.

if you can, have a look at them side by side - look into the holes at each end. the 'high flow' one should have bigger spaces between the honeycomb of the catalyst, or should have a wider 'cross-sectional' area if looked at from the front or back.

if you think there is $60 worth of difference and flow capacity between the sizes then go the big one...

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech