Ford Forums banner

Painting engine bits without heat resistant paint

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  The Goodz 
#1 ·
Hey all. Some of the e-series boys have seen my rocker cover with its unusual paintjob :) But that paintjob is bloody hard to keep clean and has lost all gloss, and the lighter colours are getting darker.

That heat resistant paint stays there no problem, but doesn't give a good finish. And also colours are limited. How would I go if I sprayed the rocker cover with normal non heat resistant paint? I would love to have a glossy metallic silver on there to match the car colour. Will normal paint handle the heat? Would I have to do any other preparations before painting? Any specific primers, etc?

Any ideas?

Cheers all

Alex

#5 ·
The Goodz said:
that paintjob is bloody hard to keep clean and has lost all gloss, and the lighter colours are getting darker.
That heat resistant paint stays there no problem, but doesn't give a good finish.
Well don't use VHT mate... I was told that is the best stuff.... spray the exhaust stuff on first (hi temp and acts as an undercoat) then hit it with colour. Prob is I did that.... and in about 3000 k's I had to spray my motor again. Paint went pale and chalky around certain hotspots.. Flaking in other regions. Not very fun considering I went to the hassle of preperation (acid dip, sand blasting etc) :doh:

#8 ·
Best way to have it polished is to find your local metal polisher and offer him (a) carton of a mutually agreed upon alcoholic refreshment or (b) cash; and have him buff the living daylights out of it.

You can do it yourself but the cost of buying the buff and polish compound not worth the effort.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.