Ford Forums banner

panel beating help

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ESP81 
#1 ·
hey ppl,
i don't know if any one can help me here, but i have an 1980 XD esp, i got it for a really good price...one i bought it from my uncle, and secondly it has a few exterior problems. I'm hoping to do things as cheap as possible and im looking at doing some of my own panel beating. The boot lid is'nt sitting right..and i was thinking that it just wasn't bolted on straight. however after a bit of messing around i realized that it was the whole backend itself. I rang up my uncle, and he said that it had had an accident and somehow ran backwards into a tree. It seems that the back end of the chasis may have twisted, or maybe the back panels are just a little out of shape i'm not sure.
I was wondering if any one had any ideas about getting it flush with my boot. Would i have to use the weight of the car itself to twist it back into shape?? i'll try and post a picture up later and you can judge for ureselves. if any one has a better idea that would be cool.
Cheers
Ben

#2 ·
I think the method to determine whether the chassis is straight is to measure between two points diagonally across the car with a bit of string (usually top of a suspension strut to something else).

If they ain't equal length, your chassis is out . . . otherwise its prolly just your panels. You'd probably want to focus on the rear to start with - hopefully someonehere can post some good points to measure from in the XD's . . .

#3 ·
String is stretchy; try a good tape measure and work to a 1-2mm overall tolerance. In real life, that'll be an excellent result.

A Porta-Power (can be hired anywhere) is often all that's needed to push it all out. Just be sure you're bracing it against something solid enough, and to push in the optimum directions. I have seen them used with a block of wood between the inner wheelarches for the thrust. Measure with the pressure relaxed; it springs back quite some.

Failing that, it may need time on a rack.

Adam.

#4 ·
If you want to do the panel beating yourself then stick to the dents, rust removal (if there is any) and paint. I personally wouldn't even consider hiring and using a Porta-Power without being confident in it's use - these can be lethal in the wrong hands.

If you suspect that the rear end is twisted, how do the gaps around the rear doors look? - this is another give away. My ESP (also a 1980 model) has a slightly twisted rear end due to the fact I had a trailer Jack-Knife into the right rear. I took it to a panel beater and he noticed it straight away - the rear right door had nice even gaps at the bottom but got smaller towards the top of the door. Only solution (he said) was put it on the rack and get it back into shape. It would only be a couple of hours and around 2-300 dollars.

Give me some details of your machine, have you got any pikkies - I've owned mine for just on 20 years now, it's a Falcon ESP (not Ghia) 250 4 spd and it's about to get a rebuild.

Cheers

Paul B
XR6WGN

#5 ·
Thanx for the advice guys,
i think i'll get it on the rack...i would have no real idea wat i was doing with a the porta. 200-300 sounds reasonable. i'll checkout the tape measure and gaps first...i'd do it now but it's a bit dark and cold out there now.
ive had my exp for about about 6 months now. I'm a bit short of funds at the moment. It's a silver. My uncle assures me not to many esps that came out were silver...around 20 or so...i'm not so sure of that. Its 1980, 4 speed toploader, scheel bucket seats, and everything else. It was sitting in my uncles paddok for at least a year. It had been damaged from an accident...not major. So i begged him to sell it to me and he did. It's duel fuel...which i dunno whether i'm happy about. It's good on the pocket...i don't think it would do too much for the engine. I'm hoping to get it rebuilt...get it nice and clean. new springs, body straight, and the interior neat. I have a few photo's just being developd. I have to scan them onto my parents computer at home before i can put them on mine. Soon as i do i'll post them to this thread...if it's stil here.
Thanx again
Ben

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.