Parcel shelf vibration in Ghia. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2003, 21:14   #1 (permalink)

Parcel shelf vibration in Ghia.

Ok. Brand new BA Ghia and the parcel shelf already vibrates itself to death when the sub gets moving.....

How can I get to the shelf so I can stick some rubber deadening around to shut it up. Although the sub is only a baby 8 inch, it has so much more to offer, the parcel shelf just ruins all the fun.

I need to be able to do this and put it back perfectly, so it better not involve breaking those little single seal clips or anything else for that matter.
FORDV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2003, 03:32   #2 (permalink)
'95 EF GLi

I've just been through this with my EF, and what i did was drill bigger holes for the bolts that hold in the sub. Then attached it with 1/4" bolts. also, i found that the felt under the carpet had a section above the sub that could be taken out with a bit of a pull. that improved the situation somewhat, then i took out the carpet and punched holes into it. its sweet now, but i think i could get more performance out of it with a box around the back of the sub...
BlueAvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 04:36   #3 (permalink)

Hrmmm thats an EF tho..... slightly different situation with the BA i suspect....

Like, i just would have thought taht Ford would have made sure the sub wouldnt vibrate at that sort of volume.... You would think they would be doubly sure that a) the sub is more powerfull and b) the parcel self was 5 mm thicker than needed and bolted in with screws 2mm greater in diameter for a margain there so the Sub can work it like nothing else.....

It should be a 10 inch.... 8 inch just can't move enough air imo.... Unless it has a super long throw suspension in the voice coil......
Old 04-12-2003, 07:15   #4 (permalink)

replies pls
Old 04-12-2003, 16:58   #5 (permalink)
ST170ish

Could you brace the parcel shelf from underneath with some MDF?(increase its weight)
Better still buy a small sub and box combo, then rip out the old sub and throw it! Use it 4 a computer sub or sumthing:)
It may be your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
ST170ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 18:00   #6 (permalink)
Not Fast Enough, Dammit!

Use a common sort of car stereo sound deadening product, there are heaps around.

I used Flashtac (not specifically a car stereo product though) on my parcel shelf and boot lid in the EF.
It is a bitumen based product that is used to add weight and some slight dampening. It helped a fair bit too.
Old 04-12-2003, 22:58   #7 (permalink)
{';'}

Just wondering how much that Flashtac stuff is. I want to put it in my doors to stop vibrations also.
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 01:13   #8 (permalink)
Not Fast Enough, Dammit!

Quote:
Originally posted by XRated
Just wondering how much that Flashtac stuff is. I want to put it in my doors to stop vibrations also.
I think it was about $20 a roll:hrm: :hrm:
But i'm sorry I cant really remember how much it was. You can just buy it from the hardware store and it comes in a heap of different sizes and lengths.
I hope that has helped a little bit.
Old 04-13-2003, 01:32   #9 (permalink)
{';'}

Thanks mate. I might get some this week :)
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech