Performax Pads - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2001, 18:59   #1 (permalink)
BSR

Performax Pads

I know a few of you guys have these pads on your cars......I have just fitted these along with DBA drilled & Grooved rotors.
My problem is, after bedding in as per insructions and now i have done approx 300k's my brakes are crap!!!!!!!
The pedal is like a sponge and the travel seems longer.
Has anyone else had a problem with these pads??? They are worse than my completely rooted factory pads and rotors
Cheers

Rob
AU XR8

XLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2001, 19:30   #2 (permalink)
Mike

Hmm, doesn't sound right! :( I'm guessing they haven't glazed or anything nasty like that? I changed my pads about 2000k's before the rotors, to make the rotor bedding in a bit easier. Initially the pedal feel was a bit firmer, but after a week or so it came good and now is more progressive and shorter throw than before.

Might be worth getting checked out? Master cylinder or something? Hmm..

Let us know how it goes mate.

Mike
Old 06-11-2001, 20:15   #3 (permalink)

Could there be air in the system?
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2001, 20:24   #4 (permalink)

Hi XLR8

Did you change the brake fluid also? I agree with Martin, sounds like you got air in the system. Typical symptons are spongy pedal & longer pedal travel. Try bleeding the brakes again.
Your choice of pads & rotor should be good combination - better than standard issue.
Regards
Geoff
jaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 19:52   #5 (permalink)
BSR

Thanks guys, sent message to Bendix, who have asked me to give them a call....will see what they say!!
Old 06-12-2001, 20:26   #6 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

HI ROB,
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM ON MY EDXR6, I RAN METAL KING PLUS THEN WENT TO PERFORMAX WITH THE SAME RESULTS. I WENT ON THE BENDIX WEBSITE AND THE BEDDING IN PROCESS WAS DEFFERENT TO THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE BOX,

Bedding In Procedure for Bendix Performax Brake Pads

To maximise the performance of Bendix Performax brake pads, it is essential that they are bedded in correctly as follows.

1. Accelerate vehicle to 60km/h
2. Apply brakes using moderate to firm pedal effort, reducing speed to 5km/h
3. Drive 100m - 200mm accelerating to 60km/h
4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 between 12 & 15 times

Following the above procedure will optimise the performance of your new brake pads and ensure maximum pad life and braking performance.

THIS IS THE NOTE UNDER TECHNICAL BULLETIN

SPECIAL NOTE FOR DB1108 PERFORMAX FOR FORD FALCON/FAIRMONT/XR6/XR8/FAIRLANE VEHICLES

The braking system of these Ford vehicles is generally designed for high friction compounds (such as Bendix Ultimate)as Original Equipment (OE).Bendix Performax is a long life,low dust, low rotor wear friction compound with a medium friction level,which may produce a harder pedal feel than the OE pads.Bendix Performax may also take up to 3-5 days of driving (based on 20 stops per day)to be bedded in properly for these vehicles,particularly with rotors that have been machined .

Installers should communicate to the drivers of these vehicles to go easy on the brakes for the first few days after fitment until new brakes bed in.

THEY SHOULD TELL US TO BEGIN WITH.
CHEERS
KERRY

TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 07:47   #7 (permalink)
BSR

Thanks Kerry,
Yeah i did see both box and web bedding in procedures before fitting.
Spoke to Bendix today, Spoke to a really helpful Guy called Dale. He said that Bendix do not reccomend putting Performax pads on Falcons!!
Anyway, they are going to send me a set of Ultimates free of charge to my door, So i cant really complain about that!!!

Kerry, what do you run now???
Ultimates, should be great, just not looking forward to the dust. thats why i went for the performax.
Cheers
Rob
Old 06-13-2001, 12:52   #8 (permalink)

If they dont recommend putting them on Falcons why do they sell them for Falcons???
Doesnt make sense.

But if I was going to get Brake Pads id get those EBC Kelvar ones, they seem to be good and they are low dust/dustless
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 18:06   #9 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

HI ROB,
I AM STILL CURRENTLY RUNNING THE PERFORMAX, BE CAREFUL RUNNING ULTIMATES WITH YOUR DRILLED/SLOTTED ROTORS. DBA DOES NOT RECOMEND THAT METAL PADS BE USED WITH THESE ROTORS, I KNOW OF A COUPLE OF BLOKES IN THE VIC CLUB THAT HAVE CRACKED ROTORD USING ULTIMATES. WHEN I RAN THE METAL KING THEY WERE GREAT, I EVEN USED THEM FOR A JOHN BOWE PERFORMANCE DRIVING COURSE AT CALDER, THEY WERE GREAT.

I HAVE TO REPLACE MY MASTER CYLINDER AT THE MOMENT BUT WILL PROBABLY GOING BACK TO METAL KINGS, OR THE EBC KEVLAR, BUT THEY ARE A BIT PRICEY(APPROX $140/PAIR).

CHERS
KERRY

TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech