plugs a sign of injector issues? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2003, 01:39   #1 (permalink)
rev

plugs a sign of injector issues?

I have had a frustrating rough idle and periodic misfire at idle on cold start ups. After 10-15 mins of driving and its fine apart from the sometimes seeming like its running 100 rpm too low sometimes at lights. Warm days seems better. It started with a change of plugs and introducing the motor to 98 RON PULP. I have checked all I can. Changed from Synergy to Ultimate, new leads, checked for vacuum leaks, advanced timing 2 degrees past normal. An exhaust analyser shows it running fine; same with a scope and a code check by my mechanic. He said apart from throwing money at it by randomly changing parts he was stumped. When he tests it the car is often warm so he said I could have one plug that only plays up when cold. He said to buy a spare and change it from day to day to see if that could find the bad plug. Well, it cant BUT I noticed that the plugs in cyl 3 and 4 have a soot over them like its running rich, 2 and 5 much less so and 1 and 6 are perfectly clean!

Is this a sign of an injector problem? Keep in mind its a CFI and not MFI.

Last edited by rev; 10-03-2003 at 03:25.
rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2003, 02:54   #2 (permalink)

Re: plugs a sign of injector issues?

Checked compressions? Quality of spark? coil may have a short & not producing enough voltage.I could go on forever!
SPALDING GREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 03:43   #3 (permalink)
rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPALDING GREEN
Checked compressions? Quality of spark? coil may have a short & not producing enough voltage.I could go on forever!
Thanks for the reply. Excuse my ignorance but these factors,apart from compression would only be apparent on a dead cold start and not be picked up by an Oscilloscope? The car runs really well under load.

Last edited by rev; 09-28-2003 at 03:51.
rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 05:00   #4 (permalink)

Head gasket? Broken head stud?

Last edited by SPALDING GREEN; 09-28-2003 at 05:02.
SPALDING GREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 17:50   #5 (permalink)
jjj

I got a cfi and i had a similar problem. First was a high resistant ht lead and the 2nd was a worn bush on my dizzy. It was causing a rough idle at cold but then good when hot but about every 10-20 sec the car would have a difinate miss. I nearly replaced the how car before i recified the problem. (got a 2nd hand dizzy complete from wreckers from a low milage car for $100-3parts to a dizzy tfi, hall sensor and bush and any of these could be causing the problem). Also replace your rotor plug and dizzy cap while your at it. Now i haven't had a thing go wrong for about 18months.

cheers jjj
jjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 01:25   #6 (permalink)
rev

Solved. You may recall I said the issue started a few months back after a change of plugs and a tank full of 98 RON. I messed with the plugs, leads etc and changed from Synergy to BP Ultimate. No difference. Yesterday after reading all the PULP type posts it seemed to me that these cars are so fussy they all react differently to ULP, PULP and flavour of PULP. So yesterday I put in a tankful of the lower RON Caltex Vortex and it started up perfectly on a very cold startup this morning and has run fine after work. Not one miss, shudder or vibration. Go figure.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:03   #7 (permalink)
Ford n00b

I'm having the same kind of issue (EF), and i'm all out of options. In fact, now i think of it, it's only been happening since i moved to 98RON, up from regular premium.

Time to try 95/91RON normal unleaded, and see what happens. Might mix 1/2 a tank of premium now and the for the detergents...
DeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 01:20   #8 (permalink)
rev

Well, its now been 4 days since switching from 98 RON to Caltex Votex Gold (95 RON). The problem has totally gone. Not one missed beat at idle and the weather has even been colder than normal. I am a happy camper!
Old 10-03-2003, 02:26   #9 (permalink)

Caltex Vortex is one of the best petrols available. Plenty of cleaning additives (Techron) and high enough octane for most cars on the road. The rest is overpriced rubbish.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech