Points to electronic ignition???? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2006, 11:29   #1 (permalink)

Points to electronic ignition????

I have a 67' fairlane 500 convertable that im trying to get started..... Now bare with me, as i am a honda guy, and do most of my car stuff swapping honda engines......., But i want to get my fairlane started again, at least to be mobile until i can really start restoring the car....

Now to the problem.... The car wont start..... I think its the poitns again. Ive had trouble with them a few years back, but the car has sat since them. They would continuously need adjusting, or just burn out i guess.

So, after trying to some good old started fluid down the carb, and she didnt even gurgle, im assuming im not getting spark, correct? (i mean, if i had spark the motor woul have kicked with that starter fluid right?? that stuff is potent.)

Now, if its the points, im very intrested in just switching to an electronic system, cause im really tired of playing with them...... i think the coil is ok ...with the car in the "on" position, im getting a positive voltage at the two small post, and the main lead that does to the middle of the dizzy dap.

So, maybe you guys can evaluate what is going on....

But let me ask, how hard is it to switch to an electric dizzy??? Alot of wiring or anything??? Could i still use my stock coil with it, or do i have to spend even more money on a control unit or something???

Thanks in advance, and nice site!!!

---Joe
92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2006, 04:30   #2 (permalink)

Re: Points to electronic ignition????

Assuming the engine turns over, and has compression, it is probably the ignition. If you keep burning out points, the condensor (cylindrical metal thing inside distributor) is probably stuffed.

Check points first - if they are pitted could or burnt could well be the problem. If not, need to see if you have spark. Remove one of the plug leads, hold the metal end very near the block (use insulated pliers to hold the rubber of the lead as a zap hurts!!!!) and get someone to crank the engine. If spark is ok, check the other leads as well - a spark from all means ignition is probably ok - may need timing.

If no spark, pull centre lead from distributor, and look for spark while holdiing metal end near the engine like above while cranking engine. Spark means cap or rotor is probably stuffed - replace both. No spark - get a multimeter or test light. Check for 12V on positive terminal of coil. 12V should also be on negative coil of terminal when points are open. If this checks ok, the coil is probably stuffed. If not, check low tension wiring to coil and wiring to distributor - it needs 12V to work the system.

For converting to electronic ignition, should be pretty easy, there are a lot of aftermarket kits out there. There may also be an electronic distributor for later models of your motor. You would probably need a different coil, and many of the electronic distributors do not require the ballast resistor or resistor wiring. So some wiring changes may also be required. I would recommend seeing an auto electrician to find the best way to modify your car!

Hope this all makes sense! Good luck!
XWish Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:24   #3 (permalink)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

actualy i just found this.. http://www.msdignition.com/dist_15.htm ...anyone know anything about them???

Suposedly everything u need it in the dizzy, u just make 2 wire connections( a ground, and 2 wires to the coil ) and your ready to run...... is this really that easy?????

Ill do the tests, but i think regardless im going to try and change over to electric. I love cars, but i hate electronics, and im just tires of playing with points..
92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 03:42   #4 (permalink)

Go for Petronix.

Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech