Ford Forums banner

Polishing

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  FASTXR 
G
#1 ·
Well I was just wondering what the deal is with polishing your car. My car is white, and doesnt need a polish yet at all, but i was wondering whether these Polishes that companies try to sell really work, like Meguires. Do they work or not, or do they just cover scratches and swirl marks up.

Also does anyone know of any Companies in Brisbane that are good for getting new cars polished up?

#2 ·
There's a real good cream polish that the smash repairers use. It's a 3M product that gets all the scratches and marks, which really brings out the true colour of the car.

Buggered if I could remember what the product was called. I've seen a C2R display Falcon that had that stuff put on it. Magic.

#8 ·
I just had my car professionally polished and the guy there (who did an awesome job) told me two interesting things. One is that he always uses Kitten car polish to finish with (the one in the green tin you can get from Kmart for about $8).
The second thing was a product that was like a lump of playdough or blue tac. After washing the car normally, you wet the panels and then wipe this stuff around like you would a sponge. It picks up the tiny bits of dirt and grime that a sponge can't and it leaves it as smooth as a baby's bum.
Can't remember the name (will try to find out and re-post) but it cost about $40.

#9 ·
fastxr I would be interested in that playdough type thing if you can find out about it, sounds the goods!

BTW all I use is maguirs on my car, the polish is awesome!

#11 ·
xr sam (now just SM I think!) was selling them a while ago. Basically, its a chrome strip which covers the plastic sills when you open your car door.

looks a treat, but mine are unfortunately off at the momment, while im slowely fixing all the niggly problems on my car!

#12 ·
That stuff is called a "clay bar"

Meguiair's Clean n' Smooth (aka: Clay bar)
This is one of those products that is so good......you just have to try it at least once in your life.
The kit includes a small block of clay and a small bottle of Meguair's Quick Detailer (spray on polish). The idea is, you spray the Quick Detailer onto your paint surface and glide a palm sized pancake of the clay over the paint. As the clay glides on the Quick Detailer it removes all the bits of tar and dirt that have stuck to the paint.

The result is so good that you will be feeling your paint (and asking your friends to feel your paint) for days after the treatment. This stuff really does work, the clay bar lasts about 4 treatments if youre frugal, but the Quick Detailer lasts about 1 or 2 treatments, so I bought a large bottle of the Quick Detailer for the remaining 2 treatments.

$35 per pack
I think all of Meguair's stuff is overpriced, you may find a similar product but cheaper.

Interesting about the Kitten polish, just shows that you need not pay big bucks for a product that works.

#13 ·
AUIIIXR6VCT, Ive found that it depends on your car colour. I used to use maguires on my TX5 which was a red colour, worked extremely well. When i got my falcon (stark white) it did nothing for the finish. I found a wax to work best on the white car. I use armour all liquid wax at the moment and it brings up the shine like new!

Brent

#14 ·
TopGhia, that sounds identical to the stuff I was shown, though it wasn't McGuiars - it was more commercial (ie paint shop). Will try to find out tomorrow. Also, you didn't need the Quick Detailer stuff, just water. That quote is right though, I was really surprised how much smoother it made the paint, even on a freshly-washed car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.