Polishing EA Ghia Rims - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2002, 01:31   #1 (permalink)
Looking in YOUR bathroom.

Polishing EA Ghia Rims

I know this topic has been covered, however im intrested in more of the finnishing techniques of polishing the rim. I know the clear has to be stripped before the polishing of the rim can start. However, after finnishing with 1200grit w&d, do you guys (those who have mirror pollished their rims) seal them with a clear coat?

Also, using paint stripper to remove the clear, will this also remove the white paint between the spokes, or do you mask this off, And when people say only pollish in one direction, is that implying to pollish in a circular motion as to get the circular swirl pollish look?

Finaly, professional polishing, does this achieve the same mirror finnish as shown on Bass_Crazy's car?

Cheers guys.
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2002, 02:16   #2 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

I've found that if the clear coat has already been chipped or peeled in one spot it isnt hard to peal the rest of it off. Just dont use a razor blade like I did otherwise you'll scratch it. I have NC fairlane wheels and the whitey grey bits still have the clear over it.

To sand it back with wet and dry is going to a be very time consuming and probably not worth the effort. I tried this with mine and its going to take a hell of alot of sanding to get rid of the marks made by the sandpaper. I dont think you'll ever get that mirror finishe like Bass's with wet and dry.

If I were you I'd get rid of the clear, go over the rims with autosol a a good few times, and if thats not shiny enough for you get them professionally polished
Stock as a Rock for the moment

TQE's
XplodEd EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 03:35   #3 (permalink)
formerly sikEA

I have done it before, and I followed Bass's advice (he did his own I think)

Take off the clear coat with paint stripper. then, fully clean the wheel. Go out and do what I did........buy two polishing wheels from a hardware store to suit a power drill. Use some heavy duty cutting compound initially, then finish off with autosol. Your rims will look really schmick after that.

Note, I never put a clear coat back on, wheels require one good hit with the buffing wheel and autosol every few months. Still look awesome though....

...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
And Yagz, come back in six months faggot
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 08:59   #4 (permalink)
Looking in YOUR bathroom.

what im worried about is will the paint stripper take away the white paint from inbetween the spokes?
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 00:10   #5 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

I'd peal it off man, save risking it, and you'll still be able to leave the clear coat ontop of the white bits
Stock as a Rock for the moment

TQE's
XplodEd EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 01:58   #6 (permalink)
formerly sikEA

Strip the whole lot and just repaint the white bits....

...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
And Yagz, come back in six months faggot
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech