Power steering pump screw - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2003, 23:00   #1 (permalink)
s l e e p e r

Power steering pump screw

Hey guys,
Is the bolt on the power steering pump a reverse thread or something on the EB V8.
I cant get the bugger off. I've wd40'd, and pulled and pushed till i bent my bloody allen key.
i tapped, i banged , i kicked the bastard , but it just will not budge.
is there a special little trick to it.

help me , i'm going nuts.....no pun intended
ebbeforde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2003, 04:38   #2 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

Re: Power steering pump screw

You will not get it off that way... You need to buy a Puller..

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 04:52   #3 (permalink)
s l e e p e r

the old puller ey.
why is every piece on this car attached using a diffrent method, diffrent sized bolt, diffrent everything, for crying out loud, i had a celica and could take the whole car apart using nothing else than 12 and 14 ml spanners.
I suppose i should just buy a manual.
I have most of my engine in pieces on the floor of my garry, including the left head, and the only thing stopping me from getting the right one off is the bloody power steering pump, as i can't get to the bolt which holds the bracket, as it is right behind the p/s/p pulley.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:01   #4 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

Yep i know that feeling real well Ive had mine out 4 times now...

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 19:46   #5 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Heh . . I found myself in your exact situation about 2 months ago . . .

Buuut. You can (maybe) save yourself some cash on the puller. If you get a ball-joint puller, you can enlarge the opening in it to fit around the flange on the PSP pulley ( this was how I got it off ).

The thread inside the bolt is a whitworth ( can't remember the size exactly ), so using a whitworth bolt, some washers and nuts, you can also put the pulley back on again . . .

Of course if a puller is cheap . . just buy that :) From some of the prices I saw though, a ball-joint puller at $15 from kmart is much cheaper than the puller . . . Oh, and if you need to stop the puller spinning, get your helper to put on some rubber gloves - makes gripping it soooo much easier !
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 02:33   #6 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

I borrow mine from Nepean spares in St marys. They usually ask for a deposit so you bring it back.Don't f*ck too much with those pumps they are expensive as hell to replace and the pulley is $60.00.. The puller is sort of special too it fits over the grove on front pulley. Carefull that you don't stuff the thread in p/s shaft, being case hardened it cannot be tapped clean.. I found out the hard way!!!
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 02:36   #7 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

AND you'll love the bolts that hold the bloody thing in too!! I purchased some allen headed bolts for the next time??
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 14:06   #8 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Re: Re: Power steering pump screw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
I borrow mine from Nepean spares in St marys. They usually ask for a deposit so you bring it back.Don't f*ck too much with those pumps they are expensive as hell to replace and the pulley is $60.00.. The puller is sort of special too it fits over the grove on front pulley. Carefull that you don't stuff the thread in p/s shaft, being case hardened it cannot be tapped clean.. I found out the hard way!!!
A good point. My theory was if that I hadn't fuxored it trying to get it off the wrong way (between the old man and I, we tried a *lot* of ways to get it off ), the odds of doing it when actually pulling in the right direction weren't too bad...

heh - that said, if its at all possible to get the right tools and do it the right way, you'd be mad not to... (rooting the pump is bad, mmmkay ? :) )
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 00:17   #9 (permalink)
s l e e p e r

thanks guys,
i got the bugger off, after hours of intense labour.
i used a puller, not a specialty puller, just a regular puller that i borrowed from a mate whos an a/c mechanic, that didn't work too good as i started bending the metal arm that winds the puller, so the next day i found myself using an oxy torch to heat the bugger up, and the gentle art of precision tapping. it only took just over an hour.
very relieved.
it worked well, although time consuming.
i might also need a new pulley, as the old one is a bit mangled, not too bad though.

thanks again, never wanna do this again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech