Problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2004, 05:04   #1 (permalink)
kez56

confused Problems

Not sure if this is the right forum to post into but here goes. I am having a few probs with my EF XR8.

1) Checked the transmission fluid stick the other day. Level okay but have noticed a light brown milky sort of fluid at the end of the stick.

2) Checked coolant reservior and found coolant had changed into a thick milky brown consistency (looks much the same as what I found on the transmission fluid stick). I took the cap off (engine was cold at the time) and this fluid just started pissing out every where. The next day all that was left on the driveway where it landed was a substance that was clear and slippery but does not smell. I have checked the oil level as well and this is okay.

3) Turned the ignition on and found that when placed into 1st gear (its an auto) and I accelerate, it is almost as though the car is in neutral. It will rev out to about 4k and will "kick" into gear,

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated. Please note that I am not very technically minded when it comes to cars. I bought my XR purely because I have always loved them and with no intention of modifying it. I guess I need to know whether I have a major problem here or is this something really simple that I can fix with a bit of guidance.
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2004, 05:17   #2 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

Re: Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by kez56
Not sure if this is the right forum to post into but here goes. I am having a few probs with my EF XR8.

1) Checked the transmission fluid stick the other day. Level okay but have noticed a light brown milky sort of fluid at the end of the stick.

2) Checked coolant reservior and found coolant had changed into a thick milky brown consistency (looks much the same as what I found on the transmission fluid stick). I took the cap off (engine was cold at the time) and this fluid just started pissing out every where. The next day all that was left on the driveway where it landed was a substance that was clear and slippery but does not smell. I have checked the oil level as well and this is okay.

3) Turned the ignition on and found that when placed into 1st gear (its an auto) and I accelerate, it is almost as though the car is in neutral. It will rev out to about 4k and will "kick" into gear,

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated. Please note that I am not very technically minded when it comes to cars. I bought my XR purely because I have always loved them and with no intention of modifying it. I guess I need to know whether I have a major problem here or is this something really simple that I can fix with a bit of guidance.
2) sounds like head gasket is gone :(
gmanEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 05:33   #3 (permalink)

cool Re: Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by kez56

Hi kez 56!! Sounds like a tranny cooler to me. Get your radiator pressure tested!! You will probably need a tranny service as well! (Water & clutch packs do not mix well together) Let us know how you get on.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:47   #4 (permalink)
known as tibbo

yeh the radiator is FUBAR..The tranny plumbing is now mixing with your engine cooling system..Not expensive if you get to it now...a new radiator, some fresh coolant and a trans flush,filter and gasket...Don't drive the car or you will start to burn the inards of the transmission as the oil is now not cooling and lubricating but just swirling around doing nothing but agitating itself into coffee milk.. As ELGT4me said the clutch packs will slip and burn out

GEt it fixed ASAP or you will also need a head gasket, new rubbers hoses (every single one- radiator, heater hoses, heater tap ) and a transmission aswell.. THe oil in your water causes all the rubber hoses to soften and swell, eventually blocking your smaller diameter hoses shut, causing major engine overheating dramas..

The tranny will not come back to 100% immediatley.. remove the radiator, flush the cooling system a few times (without the new radiator plumbed in).. Flush the transmission of all the soiled oil<-- there is a thread on how to do this) install your new the radiator, and a new header tank (as you'll never get the oil residue out of the old one) and then over normal driving conditions the last of the water in the trans will eventually evaporate..<--similar to the puddle that was left under your car, the oil stays and water goes..

I can't stress how important it is to replace your radiator ASAP..

Last edited by RaceCraft; 01-20-2004 at 10:50.
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 13:18   #5 (permalink)

ouch what a bummer and a costly one at that too.
17" ROH Shadow Chrome RT's, K&N Air Filter, LSD Conversion w/ 3.7 Gears.
Proudest Addition: Socks the Brindle Staffy Girl.
Proud TQE Operator
6pAc|30nG|00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 13:19   #6 (permalink)

spot on, tibbo

This might be timely reminder for everybody to change out your coolant if you can't remember when it was done last, or you have just bought the car. The anti-corrosion additives in the anti-freeze don't last forever.

cheers

Last edited by TopGhia; 01-20-2004 at 13:22.
TopGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 14:32   #7 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

You could put an external cooler on it too.If it has a towbar it should have one if dealer fitted. Bungs will be needed to prevent coolant leaking from trans line connections..Radiators are not that expensive considering the damage thats done when they don't work properly....$300 to fix rad approx but $3k for auto and about the same for engine.. So is fixing radiator expensive ???? idts...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 14:39   #8 (permalink)
kez56

Folks...thanks for the input so far.

Tibbo, all of your comments have been taken on board and noted with interest. The car is booked in for tomorrow morning with the dealer she came from (still under dealer warranty). I have already advised them the problems I am experiencing and it will be interesting to see what they say and what they will replace/repair given that their service division told me all of the rectifications needeed are warrantable items!

Will post after I get her back.
Old 01-21-2004, 00:50   #9 (permalink)

At least it's under warranty, you can breathe a bit easier. :)

cheers
TopGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 01:42   #10 (permalink)
If Only I Had Lexus Power

Dont let them stinge you, make sure its done right
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 ---- W 16 Configuration, Quad Turbo 1001 HP, 1250Nm, 4 Wheel Drive
redGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech

« neons | Restoration »