Problems again :P - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2004, 04:11   #1 (permalink)
Wannabe mechanic :)

Problems again :P

Alrighty, this is interesting.. been driving around lately, and the battery light flashes on for 1-2 seconds, or less a few times in a row, and this happens 2-3 times in a row, then not again for another hour or more of driving.

Firstly, what does this battery warning light indicate? Just low voltage?

Here are the three possibilities:
1) Mum suggested that she had this problem ages ago, then the battery died shortly after.. it is 2 years old now, so it might be dying.. I dunno

2) Earth strap is ****ed, or some connection somewhere is ****ed somehow.. what should I look for?

3) Alternator is dying.. does it sort've stop generating power for half a second every now and then? I would have thought it would just stop dead when either the bearings seize or the coil somehow burns or something...

Anything else it might be? As I said, no affect on the car, although occasionally lately, it will just lose power for a little burst here and there (might be cause I'm running it low on LPG)..
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2004, 04:18   #2 (permalink)
1 MORE GO WITH A 4.0L

Re: Problems again :P

check if the alternator has a removable bush pack(on the end of plug in to alt) if so start car and look behind it for sparks loosen till it stops the volt gauge pulsing if it does this ,just replace the bushes $50
swoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 04:40   #3 (permalink)
EFI 351c TD CORTINA

when my alternator went, it died because the brushes wore through the copper bush on the shaft through to steel. i got 2 days driving from just the battery while i waiting for a new alternator. I thought i would have stuffed the battery by doing that but its fine.
Old 05-09-2004, 17:36   #4 (permalink)

Ok, so I took a measurement of the battery voltage, came out at 11.58v (engine off)...

Is this good or bad?
Old 05-09-2004, 18:48   #5 (permalink)
-

thats bad!
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 20:24   #6 (permalink)
Fu(kn Slow & Low

ive had the same problem since i bought my car 1.1years now. only two weeks ago it started getting really bad, and the light stayed on, the next thing i knew i couldnt go get parts at work because my battery was dead flat, and once i got it going again every time i touched the brakes the speedo and dash would turn off. the regulator at the back of the alternator was hammered and the centre of the alternator was full of oil and gunk. the cost for my old man to get a change over was 165bux when i could have got it through work for 110bux. first try cleaningyour battery terminals and earth straps with hot water then wire brush them lightly, if that dont work then its more then likely your alternator.
White 1988 EA Fairmont Ghia ~ Gassed ~ EF camshaft ~ Lowered on super low king springs (not low enough) ~ 2.5inch cat back exhaust system with one muffler ~ Clear indicators ~ Simota POD filter ~ New head built for gas ~ 3.23 open wheeler diff ~ EF XR 16inch rims ~ pioneer deck and rear speakers ~ sony front speakers ~ kyb shocks

driving a 3 speed auto with no second gear!!!
Need PSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 21:02   #7 (permalink)
Gun-ho Tactics

I had this problem, the battery light would flicker on and off then sometimes stay on while driving. I had the voltage and cables checked and everything was fine, the problem turned out to be an oil leak from the head into the alternator, I can't remember how much it cost me to repair, but it was about 300 from memory.

4.0i Auto Sedan, Cardinal Red

Mods
2.5' Sports Exhaust, Clear Indicators & Repeaters
15x7 "Titans", Tinted, Boss 14' Steering Wheel
Lowered, Chrome Stripping, Trip Computer
EL Door Handles, All Round Pioneer Sound
Sports Instrument Cluster, Super White Xenon Headlights

Up & Coming
New Front Bar (Wombat Damage)
ED Tickford Spoiler

Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 01:36   #8 (permalink)

Well, I can only hope it is a battery problem, not an alternator problem, but not sure how I can check it :( The only reason I said alternator is cause the alt. belt has been chewed twice lately, and I thought the alternator might be seized up..

As for the earth straps etc.. where should I be looking at (aside from the battery terminals) to clean the other ends of the connections? I'll give all of that a cleaning, but I don't think that will be the problem :(
Old 05-10-2004, 03:44   #9 (permalink)

Check the voltage at the battery when the engine is idling, it should be ~14.2V.
not ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 03:52   #10 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Suspect voltage regulator in alternator; not too expensive.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech