Problems with nolathane bushes! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2004, 04:26   #1 (permalink)

Problems with nolathane bushes!

After having our EL GT's suspension checked we were told that both rear and front arm/rod bushes were warped. A second check confirmed this. The car has only done 17000 kms and gets treated like a queen, shouldn't these be still under warranty??? Has anyone else experienced such problems with nolathane bushes. Any help/comments are welcome. Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2004, 05:07   #2 (permalink)

Re: Problems with nolathane bushes!

Problems with urethane bushes normally occur due to incorrect installation. I was told by Nolathane that the grease supplied is enough to do 10 kits. The grease should only be applied to the inside of the bush where the steel sleeve slides. Putting grease everywhere will cause the bush itself to rotate, this in turn will fuk the bush something severe. This will be instantly obvious upon removal of the bush and it will be all crumbly.
not ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 06:17   #3 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Who did you get it done buy?

Ive heard good things about Wilkinsons, and WA suspension arent too bad.. bit pricier but apparently

They probably wont be under manufacturer warrenty due to incorrect instalation, give it a go anyway.
If that doesnt work, try get the shop to re do it.

Say that consumer affairs said that if it was their fault they should Repair, Replace or Refund... or something along those lines, and see what they do :)
2nd EF GLi, 'custom' interior, extractors, exhuast
3rd EA Fairmont 5spd, low'd, extractors, exhuast, head
work, 3.45LSD, EL dash, interior+ El ECU
4th EB2 Fairmont, EL dash and interior, BBM, LSD etc etc
5th EB Fairmont Ghia 5L. All leather, lowered, exhaust etc
EFJase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 19:39   #4 (permalink)

Has the car done 17000 km since new or since you had the bushes done?If it is since new the car wouldn't be under warranty.If it since the bushes were done take it back to who installed them & get them to replace them.
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 20:29   #5 (permalink)
Village Idiot

I though it was since bushes done, but reread and its says since new?
If thats the case, go yell at ford. Doubt theyd do anything, but its worth a go.
2nd EF GLi, 'custom' interior, extractors, exhuast
3rd EA Fairmont 5spd, low'd, extractors, exhuast, head
work, 3.45LSD, EL dash, interior+ El ECU
4th EB2 Fairmont, EL dash and interior, BBM, LSD etc etc
5th EB Fairmont Ghia 5L. All leather, lowered, exhaust etc
EFJase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 00:54   #6 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

It's 7 years old... warranty? Yeah, goodonya! It;s not just km that degrades components...
As far as I know, the bushes are Noltec, not Nolathane, in the EL. What colour are they? Blue?
IIV8II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 01:12   #7 (permalink)

The car has done 17000 kms since new everything is original including bushes. Yes, I know 7 years is out of warranty, still it makes you wonder just how wonderful these bushes are. Yes, I'm quite aware of the fact that time helps degradation.
You want to know the colour of the car or the bushes? The car is green, The bushes I wouldn't know.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:58   #8 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELGT4me
The car has done 17000 kms since new everything is original including bushes. Yes, I know 7 years is out of warranty, still it makes you wonder just how wonderful these bushes are. Yes, I'm quite aware of the fact that time helps degradation.
You want to know the colour of the car or the bushes? The car is green, The bushes I wouldn't know.
I've got the EL GT writeup that outlines pretty much goes through every aspect of the car.

In regards to the bush's heres what you have:

Front: Inner Pivot bush: Unique 80 durometer urethane
Upper arm pivot bush: Unique 75 durometer urethane

Rear: Upper arm bush: Unique 75 durometer urethane
Lower Arm bush: Unique 80 durometer urethane

Brand wise they are Kelray urethane. Quote "On production GTs, however urethane is kept red, except yellow for the control arm."

BTW i love EL GT's, sounds like you have a very sweet example in immaculate condition. BTW is yours a manual or auto?

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)

Last edited by XR_Strider_GuY; 03-14-2004 at 02:26.
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 13:36   #9 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELGT4me
Do you trust who told you they were 'warped'? Maybe get a second opinion? I have Noltahane and Noltec bushes that have done big miles and are older than yours - no probs. The reason I asked about colour is because Nolathane bushes are Red, Noltec is blue

PS> I love the ELGT too. Drove a few when they were new. But that grille...!
IIV8II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 05:53   #10 (permalink)

The car is manual. We did get two seperate opinions, and as far as trusting - can you ever trust anyone who wants to fix your car????? We think what might have happened was that they didn't lube it properly during manufacturing (one of the few reasons why the bushes might have stuffed up), but how could you prove that now, right? We just wanted to know if anyone else might have had the same touble
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech